• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ground pin on ignition switch

Vanderstel

Local time
6:52 AM
Reaction score
I'm installing a new under-dash harness from YearOne, so far going well, but one question, there is a GRD pin on the ignition switch.

The harness doesn't seem to have a connector for the GRD pin all the other pins are there.
Ignition.jpg

Can I just provide my own ground connector?

My original harness is the same way. No ground connection, just an empty slot. I'm guessing it doesn't need it since it's mounted in the metal frame hole.

Yup, not needed. I think GM needs a provided ground, but Mopar definitely does not.

On later models C bodies used the ground pin to activate a circuit cluster waring signals bulb test when cranking as far I recall. or something like that. Maybe earliers used too.

since ign switch was used the same for all bodies, then this feature was allways present still if not being used on the car where it was installed

Auto Transport Service
Back