• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'72 GTX spotted today in Bay area

Dibbons

Local time
9:29 AM
Reaction score
Driving on the transition roads from I-80 W to I-580 W (Oakland, CA) saw this bird coming up behind me. Driver (who wants to put in a new Generation Hemi) said it belonged to his father who wants to keep the 440. I don't think the rear spoiler was a factory option in 1972. I don't think Sassy Grass Green was a factory available color in '72 (probably '70-'71).

IMG0061A.jpg

Last edited:
Nither where the emblems on the deck lid. It does have 72 side markers and looks RR emblems. Only way to really tell is by the vin RM23U anything else is cloned BS.

Looks like it was personalized to someone's liking.

The VIN is about the only thing that is original on my Roadrunner. :)

What made me think it was a real '72 Road Runner GTX were the "440" call outs on the hood AND the real/rare '72 Road Runner grille.

What made me think it was a real '72 Road Runner GTX were the "440" call outs on the hood AND the real/rare '72 Road Runner grille.
Only one grill was used on legit 72 RRs. GTX was a RR with nothing different about the grill.
I think you know that. Maybe some one else doesn't.

Interesting picture mate .... Did you just happen to have your 1970s Kodak instamatic with you in the glove box ? .ha ha ... I'm just Messing with you , sorry couldn't resist !

The trunk lid should says gtx to the right of the rr decal and the decals going around the roof and rear quarter panels are thinner then the 71 decals. The running rr decals should be in front on the rear wheels.

I did see the markings in front of the rear wheels. I know "GTX" was on the right rear portion of the trunk lid on '71 models, but this is a '72 model.

I don't remember what would be on the deck lid of a '72 Road Runner "GTX" though.

I did see the markings in front of the rear wheels. I know "GTX" was on the right rear portion of the trunk lid on '71 models, but this is a '72 model.

I don't remember what would be on the deck lid of a '72 Road Runner "GTX" though.

IMG_3949.JPG

Like i said rr decal with a gtx emblem to the right

Auto Transport Service
Back