• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Rallye Satin Black Details

318 Six Pack

Local time
8:18 PM
Reaction score
From what I've gathered, I can achieve the correct look for the '72 Rallye hood blackout and tail stripe a couple of different ways. Whatever way I use, I want to also use on the door louver detail too.

First method, I've been told, is to paint the car in the body color of my choice (original F-5 green metallic), clear coat that, then spray on the satin black. To keep it satin looking, I cannot clear it, or it will be glossy.

Second was body color as above, then black base for the black details, and satin clear over that.

Was wondering if a third option is possible, to do the green, then the black details, then clear everything. The mask everything but the black and spray satin clear over the other clear? Is that possible, or is there some incompatibility problem between clears, or something my layman mind is just not picking up on?

For the door louvers, was going to pant the inset black and do the satin finish there too, then come back and use louver decals as masks and paint F-5 green in the appropriate areas with clear over them.

Found this thread on another board with pix of various versions of the blackout:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...n=6738497&Words=+Apollo+13&topic=&Search=true

Your third way is too complicated and will probably cause more headaches than not, 1 or 2 method will work, I've seen both done, haven't done it myself, but am contemplating it in the future with my 72, something to consider, doing the clear over both will give a smooth finish, doing the black afterward will give an edge kind of feel like how the decals might feel, personally, I'd paint both, clear both, mask around the black and wet sand the clear on the black with 2000 grit, not enough to remove it, just knock the clear finish down some for the contrast. Or...leave the black glossy

Your third way is too complicated and will probably cause more headaches than not, 1 or 2 method will work, I've seen both done, haven't done it myself, but am contemplating it in the future with my 72, something to consider, doing the clear over both will give a smooth finish, doing the black afterward will give an edge kind of feel like how the decals might feel, personally, I'd paint both, clear both, mask around the black and wet sand the clear on the black with 2000 grit, not enough to remove it, just knock the clear finish down some for the contrast. Or...leave the black glossy

Yea, the third was my least desirable thought for the reasons you state too. I like your idea of knocking the shine down. Wondering if with a detail gun (is that the right name?) I could add another layer of clear in the right places to smooth out the edges.

Auto Transport Service
Back