• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 metal chips, choices?

Potshot

Local time
1:31 AM
Reaction score
67 Charger 440, mild cam, not a racecar. 727 torqueflite with floor shift and sure grip diff.

The shop pulled down the trans pan and it was full of metal. It might be cheaper to replace the transmission and am wondering what I should be looking for? It looks like some 727s are big block specific, does that sound right? Are there any suppliers I should avoid? If I'm paying the labor to get it swapped I want to do it with minimal drama.

Then again, I suppose I should consider if a manual swap is worth the hassle. I'm mostly joking with this last point.

Was it working ok? There always is some debris in the pan. Seeing a picture of what It looked like might help. Myself I would just rebuild what you have. FYI the 727 is available both small block and big block.

Any leaks of trans fluid from front of trans? Sounds like bushing material. Had that on my trans because guys that removed engine before I owned it left torque on engine. Front pump bushing if your lucky.

If you have the original transmission I would rebuild that one if it turns out necessary - IMO. The transmissions for 383 HP and 440 engines were somewhat specific to them compared as to smaller engines. You can get a built transmission for the car and engine, but the original transmission was pretty tough and adds some value to the car.

What kind of metal? Shape? Size? Is it magnetic? How much is there? Was the trans experiencing issues beforehand? No way is it cheaper to replace than rebuild. Unless the shop doesn't know Torqueflites. Lets see a picture of the debris. If it's operating correctly there may be no issue. Let me know. I build a bunch of these.
Doug

A rebuild is straight forward and fairly easy. What kind of metal would be my question. Sprag rollers/springs are magnetic. I have yet to see metal inside one that caused the entire thing to be scrapped. Exploded drum and overrun clutch are quite noticeable.

Thick blobs of sparkly paste. I've got a spare 727 available that I'll probably try.

Thick blobs of sparkly paste. I've got a spare 727 available that I'll probably try.
It would be nice if you answered all the questions. People try to help but without relevant accurate answers its any ones guess. As far as thick gobs of sparkly paste that could be very much be normal on a transmission with no service history.

Thick blobs of sparkly paste is normal accumulation of band and clutch friction material. Steel chips detected with a magnet usually mean a torque converter failure. Disassembly of your transmission and inspection will tell you what went wrong. I have used A&A Transmissions, near Indy, as a supplier of rebuild parts in the past. Also, take DVW's advice. He has been around these Torqueflights for a long time, too.

I have a trans in my 95 Dakota that was full of crap......and that was over 10 years ago and it's still going and I'm not kind to it. So, how bout some pics of what was found inside yours? Myself, I've only rebuilt one 727 in my life and that was with the help of someone that knew them and well, it wasn't hard at all and that only happened because the case cracked when trying to remove the neutral safety switch and all the guts were moved to another case but with new parts.

There was another container that had more, but no real chunks. Just a LOT of glitter.

PXL_20230613_162129999.jpg

PXL_20230613_162138372.jpg

Install new filter adjust bands install new fluid and see how it runs and shifts.

You never answered the question of "was it working okay"...
If it was and that's all that was in the pan, run away from that shop as fast as you can and keep driving....

And I know not everyone is setup to do these themselves, so just for reference----you can get a nice rebuilt 727 from A&A (very reputable) for around $1300.

Auto Transport Service
Back