• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 torque converter drain back

I went back to the old valve body but used the transgo manual valve. Car drives good again. It's going to rain here for a couple of days and that will let the converter drain. I don't think there's any stopping the drain back but the pump working in park may relieve some of the pump up time.

I don't think transgo PR spring set up works good for what I'm doing with the part throttle kick down valve body. Been working on it for 3 days, time to walk away.

quick update: i've let the car sit for 3 days which should cause a drainback situation. a few minutes ago i started the car in park, did blip the throttle a little to settle the choke, and then dropped the gear selector in reverse; tranny dropped in gear! maybe the manual valve change works,....? i don't have time today to play with it anymore today, and it's pretty cold here, but in a couple of days we'll get a little warm up and i'll test again.

on another note, i looked thru all my previous and recent transgo stuff and found something i thought was an error. the tf1 instructions i have say to back the pressure regulator adjuster all the way off, but the tf2 literature says you can go 4 turns in if you want and that's with a heavier spring, doesn't make sense. anyhow oldkimmer in his last post suggested 4 turns and if i would have done that i believe everything would have worked the first time. the factory adjustment measurement is about 4 turns so knowing the tf1 regulator spring is very close or maybe the same spring rate as factory then backing the adjuster off just doesn't make sense.

I went back to the old valve body but used the transgo manual valve. Car drives good again. It's going to rain here for a couple of days and that will let the converter drain. I don't think there's any stopping the drain back but the pump working in park may relieve some of the pump up time.

I don't think transgo PR spring set up works good for what I'm doing with the part throttle kick down valve body. Been working on it for 3 days, time to walk away.
If you are wanting PTKD in the 69 valve body, Rick Allison sells the add on module for 100 bucks. I just ordered one. My spare trans has the factory 6 cylinder piece in it. My old trans guy had one on his shelf.

has to be a way to get any valve body to do the park fill. It’s just some little mod.

If you are wanting PTKD in the 69 valve body, Rick Allison sells the add on module for 100 bucks. I just ordered one. My spare trans has the factory 6 cylinder piece in it. My old trans guy had one on his shelf.

has to be a way to get any valve body to do the park fill. It’s just some little mod.
right now i'm thinking the transgo manual **** valve may be the park fill ticket, but i don't have enough time with it to be absolutely sure.

I've used this on a couple of 727 rebuilds (Sonnax P/N 22771-09) to stop the drain back problem. If you don't mind dropping the Vb to replace the old valve, it is very easy to do.

I used that Transgo valve in the V.B. in my R/T. I was disappointed, because I did not see much difference. I always start in neutral anyway. I just had a call from a Mopar acquaintance on this today. He just recently bought another Mopar, and said that he noticed it would leave a puddle if it sat for a while after going for a drive. I explained torque conveter drainback to him, and how it raises fluid level within the case. He asked if a deeper pan would help the situation. I replied that it could, as long as he only put the factory fill of fluid in it, and remarked his "FULL" and "ADD" marks on the dipstick. I also told him to check the "O" ring on his fill pipe and seal where the shifter shaft came out of the case.

Puddle under the trans is a leaking seal, not a drainback problem....

Back in 1989, I bought a Transgo kit called a 'NoYoYo' kit. One of the 727 ailments it cured was drain back.

I've installed many TF 2 kits. 5 or 6 this year alone. All with great results. The tech help at Trans Go is very good. If anyone has an issue, contact them. There is no reason a trans in good condition should slip on the 2/3 with their kit. Also the TF 2 has a higher pressure regulator spring. Actually it's double springs. Thats why the adjustment is backed off.
Doug

follow-up; my car had been sitting for 6 weeks or more and i started it up today. started in park, gave the engine a few seconds for the choke rpm to settle, dropped it in reverse and the car drove out of the garage like it's supposed to with the new transgo manual control valve. no jacking with neutral start or anything else.

All converters tend to drain back. The difference is if the pump fills the converter while in park. The Sonnax of Trans go manual valves are designed to fill the converter in park. Problem solved. As mentioned, 64 and earlier units have no park position of the manual valve so they will fill in park.
Doug

All converters tend to drain back. The difference is if the pump fills the converter while in park. The Sonnax of Trans go manual valves are designed to fill the converter in park. Problem solved. As mentioned, 64 and earlier units have no park position of the manual valve so they will fill in neutral.
Doug
Fixed

Auto Transport Service
Back