• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 TorqueflShift Cables

avidflyr

Local time
9:59 AM
Reaction score
Recently had my 76 B Block torque Flite Rebuilt at Monster Trans in Fl. The 400 BB is a Transplant in to a 64 Polara. Bought a new Console Shifter (stock) Cable on eBay.
Problem : when shifting to Low (1st) the cable travels too far out of the Cable Cover (sheath) and won't line up and slide back in to the Cover. Now I am stuck in first.
Q; Is this the wrong cable...OR ? I have only seen 2 Cable lengths Listed.... HELP
64 Polara Show Car 2.jpg
408 BB Polara

I believe I've read that 65 is the last year of the cable shifted TF, someone correct me if I'm mistaken. I believe you need some type of adapter to make the cables work or ? to work with the newer trans.

The lever ratios are wrong for the stock shifter. The best answer is to use an aftermarket shifter for your 76 trans. If you have a console, you can find shifters that will fit underneath.

FURYUS ...I live just up Hwy 19 in Homosassa... Car was finished at West Coast Classic on US 19 at the Hernando Co. line. I have probably seen your car at a local Cruise night in Hernando Co. Going to Monster Trans (Brooksville) tomorrow for a look see at their Trans job. With cable off at the trans the shift lever is very hard to move. May be an internal problem (detent ball / spring. .

Well, if you see me there, say hello. I also have a 69 Dart swinger 340, and a 65 Comet with a crazy paint job. I know Dave from West Coast. He took care of my sheet metal needs when doing the Dart.

As stated the lever ratio is wrong. Both the shifter and shift lever at the trans need to travel the same distance. This can be modified by lengthening the lever with less travel or shorting the lever that has excessive travel. Trans lever or shifter, which ever one has easier access. You can take a spare lever, vice grip it to the existing lever. Make it longer/shorter as necesary by losing vice grips and repositioning , trial and error. When it is correct measure the distance and weld up a new lever. Actually vertical easy.
Doug

As stated the lever ratio is wrong. Both the shifter and shift lever at the trans need to travel the same distance. This can be modified by lengthening the lever with less travel or shorting the lever that has excessive travel. Trans lever or shifter, which ever one has easier access. You can take a spare lever, vice grip it to the existing lever. Make it longer/shorter as necesary by losing vice grips and repositioning , trial and error. When it is correct measure the distance and weld up a new lever. Actually vertical easy.
Doug

Monster Transmission in Brooksville, Fl did that exact thing today and solved the problem. We also used a longer shift cable to locate and increase the 180 deg. bend radius near the cable end, at the trans bracket and away from the Header Collector. Shifting is smooth, with two fingers.

Auto Transport Service
Back