• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7290 U joint?

69'Net

Local time
2:47 AM
Reaction score
I have a 7290 yoke that I bought from Dr. Diff. I didn't see a 7290 u joint on their website. Since then I've bought three of them, moog 316 and a couple generic ones from the parts store and none of the clips fit between the yoke grooves. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what are you using?

I can actually get it in there with a dead blow hammer. Just seems too tight though than others I've put in

20240501_191828.jpg

There are varying thicknesses of clips. But if it can go in as is.... and it can turn fairly freely...

Poor picture but look at machining along cup mounts. Clip should fit between. If you can return it. This a 7260 yoke.

u4.jpg

There are varying thicknesses of clips. But if it can go in as is.... and it can turn fairly freely...
yeah maybe im concerned about nothing. Ill see if I can still get it in there when I get everything put together. Hopefully it just works

yeah maybe im concerned about nothing. Ill see if I can still get it in there when I get everything put together. Hopefully it just works
Try bolting it tight on the bench and see how it feels

If you click on picture then plus and enlarge the right side you'll the machining better, yours should look the same. If it doesn't now it won't fit later.

I have a 7290 yoke that I bought from Dr. Diff. I didn't see a 7290 u joint on their website. Since then I've bought three of them, moog 316 and a couple generic ones from the parts store and none of the clips fit between the yoke grooves. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what are you using?
sometimes with new u-joints there is a tad too much grease under the cups which you cannot compress by hand ,, try placing the u-joint in a vise or C-clamp and compress it , then try the fit again. you do want your joint to fit snug in the yoke.

If it happens to be too tight where you have to force it, I wouldn't use it. When installed they need to turn freely without any drag.

When I press them into the end of the driveshaft I always tap the cross back the opposite way to relieve the pressure it took to press it in.

Auto Transport Service
Back