• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73-74 satellite or roadrunner... why don't 71-72 quarters work?

killi6

Local time
4:49 PM
Reaction score
I know, I know, I know... 'they don't fit'.

I'd like to know why before I succumb to weakness and order some sheet metal for my 74 satty because nobody makes full quarters for them and nobody makes the front quarter patch panels either. Is it a style issue? Is there some fundamental structural change from 72-73 that means you can't put 71/72 sheet metal on a 73/74? Is it the bumper tuck? Because when push comes to shove, any front quarter patch that I fabricate is going to obviously look like I fabricated it... likely.

Thanks in advance...

Even though they look similar, a close inspection and/or side by side (pun somewhat intended) will reveal (also somewhat intended) that the 71/72 styling line- especially over the wheel arch- is a wedge shape profile giving the appearance that the upper body is stacked on top of the lower and the 73/74 is more of a chamfer.

Also note that the 71/72 line continues along the panel both in front of and behind the arch, whereas the 73/74 blends back in to the radius of the panel top to bottom. The 73/74 rear quarter roll in to the trunk drop-off is also extreme and nearly horizontal on the bottom.

There's a "best kept secret" that says a 72-80 Dodge truck fender wheel arch has the same profile as the 73/74 RR/Satellite quarter arch, and can be used for a patch.

I own both vehicles and it certainly looks possible although I haven't measured it.

- - - Updated - - -

Best illustrations I could find quickly-

- - - Updated - - -

...and here's a truck.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm. in that pic the truck fender looks more like the 71/72 profile.

Attachments

• 71 rr fy1.jpg
    71 rr fy1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,201
  • 77 truck.jpg
    77 truck.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 786
AHHHHHH.

Thank you very much, YY1. 'preciate the info and tips. :)

- - - Updated - - -

You mean like this??

http://raybuck.com/i-67489-1972-80-dodge-pickup-upper-rear-wheel-arch-fleetside-only-driver-side.html

The more I've thought and looked- I'll retract the word "chamfer" and substitute "fillet".

The truck fender is more of a fillet, but the extension onto the dog leg threw me.

Looks like you sure could use the very top, and a lot of these cars rust out there.

No guarantees- word of mouth only.

AMD did make the rear patch, but quit.

yep, stephens performance still sells the rear patch, according to their web site, but the part has disappeared from other places I've looked. I'm not ready to go wild on body panels but I'm probably going to pick those rear panels up before they're totally gone.

The more I look at examples, the more it's super obvious now. Thanks again!

Auto Transport Service
Back