• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 roadrunner mystery blower function

73Beep

Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
Trying to see if anyone else has run across this issue. Factory a/c control. Blower functions on all speeds with knob in max a/c, a/c, and vent. As soon as you click to heat or defrost, the blower shuts off. I did check the resistor, even though all the speeds are present on the a/c & vent positions. The resistor is ok. I believe the issue is in the control but I do not have a diagram available. It just shows the low, med, & high circuits. Any guidance would be appreciated.

The blower for the heat and def comes directly from control switch, not from the blower speed selector. Is a single low speed AND is the brown wire coming out from the control main switch up to one of the resistors block.

Here is a 71/72 diagram. Pretty much the same to the 73/74 except for the blower speed switch, althought wiring functions and colors are the same. Just the switch itself along with the plug prongs disposition changes

ac-wiring.jpg

Last edited:
If I'm correct, I should be checking terminal #3 or #4 on the control switch for voltage when heat or defog is selected? The a/c compressor has been removed from this car but I would like to at least have defog if caught in bad weather. As far as I can tell, the modes are switching in the housing as they should.

If I'm correct, I should be checking terminal #3 or #4 on the control switch for voltage when heat or defog is selected? The a/c compressor has been removed from this car but I would like to at least have defog if caught in bad weather. As far as I can tell, the modes are switching in the housing as they should.
You obviously have power to 4 and power out of 3 to the blower switch as you claim all the blower speeds work on the other modes. That only leaves one possibility the master push button switch.

Per diagram posted power coming out from 4 (brown wire) on Heat and Def. Be just sure is the brown wire no matter the cavity. I can’t recall if 73/74 control switch meets EXACTLY to the 71/72 diagram, since I recall the 71/72 gets the OFF position in diff position than 73/74. So just in case, you must be sure is the BROWN wire. Can be checked at resistor block wire end.

Sorry for the delay in updates. I got the car fired and tested the functions. Not sure what I repaired but the blower is functioning in all modes at this time. It does not seem to have the speed on heat & defog as it does on the other positions. It's definitely working enough. Thanks to everyone for the input & direction

The a/c compressor has been removed from this car but I would like to at least have defog if caught in bad weather.
I got some bad news for you.....defog works by having the compressor run with the heat, drying the air.

I got some bad news for you.....defog works by having the compressor run with the heat, drying the air.

I can’t remember on my car having the compressor on while in deffog. Just the vacuum actuators making flow the air throught the windshield outlets

Auto Transport Service
Back