• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73' Satellite full restore, Anytips?

Salden Hund

Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
I've had this 4 door eye sore for 10 years and it's about time I do it right. Currently away, but come mi August I aim to pull it from storage and strip her down sand start from scratch. Pictures of her current condition soon to follow. Im gonna rod her out w a bigger engine or keep the 318 intercepter she's got.

Anyone have any advice on the best way to strip a car? Any system any of you have created to aid someone in the process? I plan on blasting her head to toe.

Current condition: had her painted cheaply years ago, a bit of rust around all fenders. When I first got her there was a pond in the floor. I ground down as much as possible and used a few cans of rust oleum paint. New spray glued headliner ( lost the bow's :/ ) new upholstery. Pretty muh did a cheap mans sand bLast of the interior.

Hello. The best advise I could give you is I hope this is your dream car because when your done pouring money into it you end up saying MAN I COULD OF BOUGHT A WHOLE OTHER CAR FOR WHAT I HAVE INTO THIS. I would price everything you need out before touching it. This question all depends how far you want to go. As for the stripping. D.A sander or media blast. Good luck

I agree with Dave, It is pricey to do this but if you want to get started the first thing would be some zip lock bags and a good marker for small parts, tag and bag everything so when its going back together it will save a lot of headaches trying to find things, take plenty of pictures before and during it. I never looked up the price and a Da sander will take it down to bone metal but if there's a way to do it after you have it stripped down a good idea would be get the shell all media blasted if theres a place near you, this will tell you what parts and such (panels) need replaced and get rid of rust that spreads like a kindled fire.. You need a place to put parts where they wont get lossed in other things that are taking place, a shed or something to keep your car parts all separated and protected while you do it.. You may be able to find any parts here by putting in a ad for things like you head liner bows.. Hope this helps you get started. Good luck and please keep us updated, we love to follow along on projects, which reminds me that if you go over some of the restos that have been and currently being done you can gain a mountain of information to help yourself, lots of great folks here to answer problems when you run into some.

Dave- it is. It was given to me from an old neighbor a long time ago and my desire to restore it fully has grown over the years. I own a jeep an owe a few more paychecka on my vw. So I don't need another car. I've always wanted the at from mad max, or dukes of hazard, but I have one. It's taken me all over the place and even as a 4 dr I can't get rid of it. Thanks for the insight !!!

Ron- that's some great information. I forsaw doing setting similar. I purchased a great book call "how to hot rod small blk mopars" and have plenty experience worki g on the plym so I think I'll get to the core at least before my 30 days in fl is up. I'm transferring from mid east to Cali. Unfortunately It's staying in Fl but at least it's in a unit. May have to get another for parts :/. Deconstruction begins mid august. I'll post plenty of before and during pics.

New update

So I've commenced the build the other day. The unit is a little small so I'm not sure if I'll have to find extra storage, but I digress. So far I've taken the front end off and will work on the front fendErs today. I've got a few more weeks before my move, which the car will remain in storage while I'm working in CA. I hope to get to a point where I could keep the body on frame or find somewhere to pull it for me at a reasonable price and media blast. I've got a great bag an tag procEss to keep me organized. When I get time I'll upload a few pics in an album here.

Auto Transport Service
Back