• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 End play adjuster lock tab

Northwest

Local time
10:14 PM
Reaction score
I noticed what I thought was excessive end play in my 8 3/4 rear, and noticed that this lock tab appears to be bent, maybe allowing the lock nut to loosen.

Anyone know what they are supposed to look like?

Is this one twisted?

If so, any advice to keep this from happening again?

IMG_0962[1].jpgIMG_0963[1].jpgIMG_0965[1].jpg

Thanks

Sometimes when the lock rings don't line up exactly perfect, you bend the tab slightly to achieve this. Amazing what even a small amount of turning on the adjusters can result in when you need to center or preload drives or bearings. This may or may not be the case but once you move the adjuster rings, your in for hours of work trying to get the rear end set up right again. If no noise is present on coast or acceleration put it back in and drive it.

Sometimes when the lock rings don't line up exactly perfect, you bend the tab slightly to achieve this. Amazing what even a small amount of turning on the adjusters can result in when you need to center or preload drives or bearings. This may or may not be the case but once you move the adjuster rings, your in for hours of work trying to get the rear end set up right again. If no noise is present on coast or acceleration put it back in and drive it.
Axle shaft bearing preload is not that tight of tolerance that bending the lock tab should be required. The process of set shaft end play should not take that long if the right parts have been installed. Set the axles to the drivers side of vehicle, tighten the adjuster nut snugly and back it off a little, check end play with a dial indicator, set lock in place and tighten lock nut 30 min. or less job. He is not trying to setup differential gears.

The bent part of the lock tab should fall into one of the several 'slots' on the end play adjuster nut. Yeah, the tab is bent...simply straighten it, so when in place the outer part of the tab (which is bent) will fit into one of the slots.
Doesn't need to go on a particular stud. Set the end play, and pick a stud that allows the bent tab to fit in right.

Looks like on that one, it wasn't lined up for a slot, when tightened down...probably what bent it.

Axle shaft bearing preload is not that tight of tolerance that bending the lock tab should be required. The process of set shaft end play should not take that long if the right parts have been installed. Set the axles to the drivers side of vehicle, tighten the adjuster nut snugly and back it off a little, check end play with a dial indicator, set lock in place and tighten lock nut 30 min. or less job. He is not trying to setup differential gears.

Thought so. I've probably done it wrong, but the factor service manual outlines the end play adjustment. Seems straightforward.

Thought so. I've probably done it wrong, but the factor service manual outlines the end play adjustment. Seems straightforward.

He's correct, I forget the specs but it's a big enough range that there should never be a need to bend the tab. Looks like somebody may have torqued it down without it being properly engaged causing it to bend.

Yup. Straighten the bends, so it's shaped right, and put that tab to work.

A heads-up...anytime you loosen, or pull either axle, ALWAYS check and re-set the axle endplay.

FYI the lock is installed on the stud at the 4:00 position, normally.

Make a lock tab yourself. It's just sheetmetal. Search this site for endplay specs.
Mike

Just bend the tab over more to engage the adjuster ring and it'll be fine....think someone already said that.....

Auto Transport Service
Back