• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

833 mainshaft nut size and pitch

Garand-chan

Local time
9:17 AM
Reaction score
Hi, all. I made an oopsie and slightly chowdered the threads on the end of my mainshaft. I don’t own a press, so I had to pound on the end (with the nut on) with a hammer to get the mainshaft bearing off. It worked fine last time I did it with no damage to the nut or the mainshaft threads, but I guess this bearing was tighter. My question is this: what is the diameter and thread pitch so I can get a matching die to clean up the threads? Jamie Passon’s book just refers to the nut as “a special fine-thread locking nut.”

First, the 833 has an: input shaft, an output shaft, a cluster gear shaft, and a reverse idler shaft; there is no mainshaft. Secondly, none of these shafts have a threaded end, and only the input shaft and output shaft have bearings (cluster gear is surrounded by 72 roller bearings that fall out). Please provide pics so we can see what you are talking about.

:xscuseless:

Edit: Thinking a little on this, do you have an early 4 speed with a trunnion output shaft? Measure the diameter of the threads to the closest fractional inch, then using a measuring device (vernier caliper, tape measure, etc..) count the threads in 1/2" and double it. Example, the thread dia measures 0.985" and threads for 1/2" is 7, then it is likely 1-14 NS which is a special thread. For 1" you have: 1-8 NC (course), 1-12 NF (fine), and 1-NS (special).

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back