• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8HP-70 will it fit an early B-body??

Kustombuilder

Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
I have found information on this trans fitting in the 66 and later B body, but nothing about the 65 and earlier cars. It is a tight fit but I know that it can fit in the later cars by doing some light trimming to some ears on the transmission case, but how different are the floors on the earlier B body? Does anyone have any real world experience fitting the 8HP trans in something like a 63 Belvedere behind a GEN 3 HEMI? Any info or links to threads appreciated.

And yes, I've searched it. Extensively.

With a hole the size of an Ocean. Go TKO. Why destroy these old cars. I own 3 of the A8, ZF marvels in modern cars and they are great. But, the Tremec 5 manual does the job in the 69.

With a hole the size of an Ocean. Go TKO. Why destroy these old cars. I own 3 of the A8, ZF marvels in modern cars and they are great. But, the Tremec 5 manual does the job in the 69.
Because the owner of the car wants it, that's why. Now, do you have anything helpful to add to the conversation? Anything on topic perhaps?

Since the trans is more portly than the 727/904, you most likely will have to cut out material and make up new to cover the hole. I did this on my 65 but for other reasons. I'm using a 70 k-frame which moves things back 1.5" or so. I thumped the floor to give clearance around the 727 and Gear Vendors unit. Looked like poo. Also my floor had tears in it from the bucket seats, which were swapped in by a PO many years ago to replace the bench, not having the reinforcements on the back side. Add onto that, I made a new upper hoop for the t-bar crossmember to give more space around the trans. But wait, there's more. I also put 2x4 SFC's in which meant long cuts through the floor.
Solution? Relearn metal forming which I took classes in 10 years ago plus I bought the machines at that time to do stuff. I had not done any for 8+ years so I figured working on my floor would be a great area to get back into the groove. If you want to see what I've been doing, check out my thread. It's not a gen3 with 8hp90 but you'll get the gist. Hope it helps some. BTW, I think USCT has some goodies available to do what you are after for the trans.
Updating the Super Street Mopar

Because the owner of the car wants it, that's why. Now, do you have anything helpful to add to the conversation? Anything on topic perhaps?
Good luck with the build. Best automatic I ever drove.

The early b- bodies have shallower trans tunnel than 1966 and up. I also thought the crossmember for the trans and torsion bars was an issue with the newer trans,....?

No way it'll fit with out cross member and tunnel mods. It's tight with a 727.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back