• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-833 Transmission

markxyzbc

Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score
I purchased a 4 speed transmission and now am trying to figure out the original vehicle it was in using the stamped numbers on the pad on the side of it. Does anyone know how to do this or where I can look to find out?
Stamped on main case:
8B375XXX (Last three digits not listed)
PP83 4219
Thanks for any/all help.
Mark

8=1968, B=hamtramac, I'd guess 68 charger as I think that's what was built there, but not positive..

The top number is the partial serial number. The bottom number should actually read PP833 and the second part of that which is 4219 is the date, which is read using the Chrysler 10,000 day calendar which equates out to February 14 1973.

- - - Updated - - -

All the info above that I gave is assuming that you read the date code properly and it actually is 4219. Was there any more of the VIN that you could read, maybe some more numbers and letters to the left of that 8B? And are you sure that number was a 4219?

8 being the year model. B being the assy plant. Where do you get 1973 out of that?

8 being the year model. B being the assy plant. Where do you get 1973 out of that?

I am aware of the information not jiving together. I believe the numbers provided were not complete or accurate.. That is why I was asking if the 4219 was read properly. On the A-833's, on the second line below the VIN is PP833 and then a date code. According to the date code he provided, the date would be February 14 1973. I completely agree with from the information from the VIN that it should be a 68 from Hamtramac plant.

Does it appear that the tail shaft has one or two triangular mounting points for a shifter?
Does the tail shaft have only one mounting point and is it 'short' or 'long'?
A 73 Hamtramck car would be a A or E body.
A 68 would be a Charger or an A body.

A 375XXX VIN range could be a valid Hamtramck VIN for either year.

1389449437193.jpg

here is a picture of the trans

Not an expert here, but it looks like it has a short tailshaft. Might be from an A-body ?

Thats an a/f body. most likely a duster or dart sport, has to be 3b3 which is 1973 hamtramck then car vin makes it match 4219 date

I also agree with 70bigblockdodge. And on a side note, that 3b3 makes much more sense than the 8b3 did with that 4219 date code. Glad to get this sorted out.

Auto Transport Service
Back