• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A secondary temp sensor location on a 383 4bbl???

SteveSS

Local time
10:39 AM
Reaction score
We are wiring up the new aluminum radiator with electric fans on the 71 Charger 500. I know where the sensor by the water pump is, but I need another spot for the fan sensor. We found a plug on the rear of the intake manifold. Will that work or is the another one? I don't want to sacrifice my temp gauge.

No a Chrylser big block intake manifold is dry.
Look for a pipe plug in the water pump housing or get a thermostat housing adapter with a water port opening.

I can guarantee you can pull that plug out of the intake manifold on a 383 without getting wet. You need a port on the outlet side of the pump. If you're NOT running a heater core, that outlet may work, or as mentioned above.

Side of the block.

We are wiring up the new aluminum radiator with electric fans on the 71 Charger 500. I know where the sensor by the water pump is, but I need another spot for the fan sensor. We found a plug on the rear of the intake manifold. Will that work or is the another one? I don't want to sacrifice my temp gauge.
You may want to look into installing a controller like I did to control my dual electric fans. I put dual puller fans on my 6.1 build in my 68 Charger. I installed the relays and wiring but could not stand the constant roar of those fans. I then found Darryl the Auto Cool Guy. He set me up with his system that eliminates the relays and you get everything you need to make those fans work exactly like the new cars do where the fans ramp up and down as needed. His system has the temp sensor on the lower radiator hose for controlling the fan start up. If you have AC, it will activate the fans as well. I absolutely love it.
Give him a call. Here is a couple pics. One has his email address and Phone number. The other has the Controller I bought.

100_1453.JPG

100B1440.JPG

Drill and tap a new hole in the water pump housing

I put my fan temp switch in the place indicated in post #9 - works fine.

I used the Dakota Digital fan controller (the older version without bluetooth). I was able to just tap into the factory sending unit wire and the controller can be calibrated to work with any sensor. I'm don't know if it works with the factory mechanical gauge regulator? My Instrument voltage regulator was converted to electronic years ago.
If you are interested in the old controller, I will make you a deal on it. I don't need it with the new EFI controlling the fans.
https://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/PAC-2750.pdf

I have seen thermostat spacers that are threaded for temp sensors.

Auto Transport Service
Back