• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding AC to non-AC 72 Charger

JR_Charger

Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
After browsing the forum, it looks like the best options are factory or Vintage Air. I've currently got a 318 and may build that, or I may run the 318 while building another motor. I'm not sure what motor I'll end up with, but apparently there are some AC components (maybe just brackets?) that are motor-specific and also instrument cluster specific. I currently have the standard instrument cluster, but may try to find a rally cluster. Maybe I should look into that before AC?

I want to do the interior components in the next couple weeks. The engine bay will need to be painted so I don't want to throw anything in there just yet.

I'd rather use the factory dash vent location than have the air exit under the dash. I'm also not a fan of HVAC modules. Vintage Air could have the greatest HVAC modules ever made but usually they are cheap crap that break when the plasticizers in the gears gas out. Old fashioned cables are one of my Charger's best features IMO.

That's two points against Vintage Air, but AFAIK using a factory system would involve cutting out part of the non-AC firewall and welding in a section from an AC car. I haven't learned to weld yet so that's a problem.

Thoughts?

They are some unfavorable comments about Classic on this site.

I have Classic and no issues. I guess you do not want A/C.

Classic Auto Air reviewed better in this thread, although Kern Dog did not like the look of the block off plates.

A thread about the Classic Auto Air Firewall Forward kit.

That may be what I'm looking for, but I'd have to figure out how to deal with turning a non-AC firewall into an AC firewall.

A thread mentioning Glen Ray for factory components.

Ok. Unless there is something I am missing Classic or Vintage do not offer a 72 B-Body kit.

So I would be looking for a doner a/c car to do everything from the firewall in. Then decide on engine. Myself I did the universal condenser and hose kit. I already had the compressor mounted on my Hemi. Bought a Chinese knock off hose crimp-er and did all the rest my way.

Last edited:
Ok. Unless there is something I am missing Classic or Vintage do not offer a 72 B-Body kit.

So I would be looking for a doner a/c car to do everything from the firewall in. Then decide on engine. Myself I did the universal condenser and hose kit. I already had the compressor mounted on my Hemi. Bought a Chinese knock off hose crimp-er and did all the rest my way.
The vintage air kit for a 72 Challenger will work on the 72 Charger firewall. Those two are the same as long as the 72 Charger came with factory air. I installed one on my 72 Rallye 340.

What is this dash vent panel shown with the Vintage Air Challenger kit -

AC_vintage_air_challenger.jpeg

I know it's a stretch, but if Chrysler used the same factory vent panel on Challengers as on Chargers, than perhaps one of these Vintage Air Challenger kits would send air to the dash vents on a Charger (instead under the dash). That would make Vintage Air my top choice, but is it true?

AC_vintage_air_vents.jpeg

Well, I may have got my hopes up for nothing - but other pics show individual vents, not the bar that looks like the factory vent bar in the dash.

I assume the tubes that look like a shop vac hose go from the HVAC box to the vents - it seems like the vents could be mounted in the factory location although it would take some custom parts fabrication.

How did the factory get the air from the HVAC box to the dash vents? Maybe this is as easy as coming up with a coupler between the aftermarket hose and the factory duct.

View attachment 1482525

Well, I may have got my hopes up for nothing - but other pics show individual vents, not the bar that looks like the factory vent bar in the dash.

I assume the tubes that look like a shop vac hose go from the HVAC box to the vents - it seems like the vents could be mounted in the factory location although it would take some custom parts fabrication.

How did the factory get the air from the HVAC box to the dash vents? Maybe this is as easy as coming up with a coupler between the aftermarket hose and the factory duct.
Under dash.

Classic_Auto_Air_Control.JPG

Did 68-70 cars have their HVAC controls here (under the dash overhang)? Hopefully the CAA HVAC unit fits just as well in the stock HVAC control location on a 72, to the left of the steering column, because this hanging deal isn't going to happen on a 72 dash.

Does the Classic box require shortening the glove box insert on 71-74 b bodies?

I've been reading about Vintage routing lines through the passenger fender (and shortening the glove box), and I can't say I like either of those things.

Auto Transport Service
Back