• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding rear sway bar pros or cons

I had the Hellwig on the front and the Addco on the rear of my Charger. Loved the way it handled. Along with Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners it was very nice.

I wanted to add the rear bar to the 67 GTX but I have read they simply don't fit with the dual exhaust pipes...especially since mine are 2.5" Anyone use and install one successfully on a 66-67?

View attachment 1652011
Ah, come one. Go ahead and try a rear bar out. Let me know how it fits

Disc brakes are an upgrade along with the rear bar. I used the Firm Feel 3/4" rear bar with my stock front sway bar. As hunt2elk said it was a great improvement in handling. There are a couple benefits for the Firm Feel bar in that it is mounted like the factory mounted them on E body cars. Up above the axle and out of the way unlike most of them that are mounted under the axle. The other plus is that it is not "unsprung" weight. Meaning the weight being mounted to the body is more desirable than being added to the axle. I never cared much for the looks of a bar hanging down under the axle anyway.
By the way, if you have power drum brakes now and upgrade to discs, you will need to upgrade the booster to a dual diaphragm booster to get the needed boost for the discs. Also you will need to swap out the distribution valve with a proportioning valve. Gotta keep them Hemi cars safe and well healed.
My car is manual drum brakes. And IF I decided to upgrade to front discs.
Im wondering if I can keep the stock manual drum master cylinder, And yes I am aware of the keep an eye on fluid level requirements if I do

I have used the Firm Feel rear bar on my 1967 R/T with no fitment problems. It works great. It resembles the factory bar used in some E-bodies. It mounts to the frame rails instead of rear axle, so is unsprung weight.

I had the Hellwig on the front and the Addco on the rear of my Charger. Loved the way it handled. Along with Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners it was very nice.

I wanted to add the rear bar to the 67 GTX but I have read they simply don't fit with the dual exhaust pipes...especially since mine are 2.5" Anyone use and install one successfully on a 66-67?

View attachment 1652011
I don't know about the Addco underslung bar but the Firm Feel bar should not interfere with the exhaust. I have the dual 2.5" on my 68 Charger with no possible interference

100_9115.JPG

100_9116.JPG

100_9117.JPG

I have used the Firm Feel rear bar on my 1967 R/T with no fitment problems. It works great. It resembles the factory bar used in some E-bodies. It mounts to the frame rails instead of rear axle, so is unsprung weight.
Dave, Just to clairfy the difference between "sprung" and "unsprung" weight. The Firm Feel bar mounted to the frame is actually Sprung weight. (meaning that weight is added to the body and therefore handled by the springs) The bracket mounted to the axle plate actually adds to the Unsprung weight. (weight that the springs don't see)
All of the underslung mounted sway bars add to the Unsprung weight.

Front/rear bars on an a-body.
QA1 upper/lowers/strut rod in front.
Rebuilt steering column!

Handles like a dream.
Careful, as the car now remains level as you straighten the curves, if rear tires are too tall they may fold over and rub spring a tad.

Im wondering if I can keep the stock manual drum master cylinder, And yes I am aware of the keep an eye on fluid level requirements if I do
It has been done. Some remove the residual check valve from the front brake port.Others don't and have no problem.

Thanks for those pics. It does look nice and tucked up in there.
Maybe it’s the Hotchkiss bar that doesn’t fit? That one goes under the rear also like the Addco
I think you would be happy with the Firm Feel set-up. They copied the factory mounting method from the E body. I have heard some whining about drilling holes in the frame rail but it does not weaken anything since the self tapping bolt fills the hole completely. IMO, it is the hands down winner when it comes to a rear stabilizer.

I have the Hellwig front bar. I looked at the Hellwig rear bar and I believe it used a through bolt and a bracket on the inside of the frame rail that I thought would interfere with the mufflers. The ones that use a bracket which attaches to the bottom of the frame rail would not have the same issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back