• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alaska

We did the 7 day cruise out of Vancouver BC with Princess Cruises for the wife's 50th. Went in August. Upgraded to an outside room with a balcony; well worth the extra money for us. We had pre-planned excursions at each stop; float plane, whale watching, bear watching, etc. But you can also be spontaneous and see what is available when you get to shore. I am not one for sitting around and was a little concerned about being trapped on a boat, but there were lots of activities to keep people entertained. Had a great time.

I don't like structured travel so cruises are out. The plan is to some day go the north shore highway.
Can not believe anyone would drive it from Florida in 21 days and in a motorhome. When would you find time to see anything?
The only reservations we made were at Glacier National Park and Denali. I think we made it to Glacier in about two weeks. We met up with two other couples there and we usually left the campgrounds at about 9 to 10 am and then stopped before 2. Some days we would only drive 100 miles, sometimes stay a couple days. A lot of the parks we stayed (dry camping) in Canada only charged $5/ night. We were gone for about 2 1/2 months and had lots of time to see things using our towed cars on the 12,000 plus mile journey.

Went on Royal Caribbean a few years back. Vancouver to Anchorage through the inland passage. Then a train trip up to Fairbanks with stops at all the sights. They had their own rail dining cars, and the food was excellent. I highly recommend the trip for a first taste of the State.

Dan

dress warm
them glacial passages can be really cold

Thank you for advice. My wife has been talking about this for a couple of years, so i want to make it happen while we still can go. Due to health issues i have to wait till early January to book the trip. I also have to have a fool proof guaranteed insurance policy in case we cannot go due to sickness. This is very important but if everything works we will try and do it.

The only reservations we made were at Glacier National Park and Denali. I think we made it to Glacier in about two weeks. We met up with two other couples there and we usually left the campgrounds at about 9 to 10 am and then stopped before 2. Some days we would only drive 100 miles, sometimes stay a couple days. A lot of the parks we stayed (dry camping) in Canada only charged $5/ night. We were gone for about 2 1/2 months and had lots of time to see things using our towed cars on the 12,000 plus mile journey.
Now that would be a fun trip. Have any trouble with the national park reservations as far as waiting list?

I think we made Denali reservations about this time of year for June, but we had three campers and the cg that we stayed in was 29 miles into the park. There are a couple others and a motel near the entrance. To really see and appreciate the size of the park, you really need to take a bus trip. We took a bus almost to the end of the road 80 something miles in. Glacier was in May and not very crowded then.

DSCN3767.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back