• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator Question - Over Charging??

mikeynags

Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
The following done to a 1970 Plymouth roadrunner.

Installed new Autometer Voltmeter and it shows 14.5 volts at idle, 12.5 @ idle with the lights on. When you bring the RPMs up it goes to almost 16 volts on the gauge. Replaced both the alternator and the voltage regulator at the same time and I am still seeing the same result. Is this just typical for an old mopar or do I have a potential electrical problem? It seems a bit high to me. The built in gauge shows a bit of a charge (10-20AMPS) after you first start the car but once the car warms up the gauge is in the center between "D" and "C". Also, I measure about 12.5 volts @ idle right on the battery and about 14 volts if you bring the RPMs up. Is it a bad gauge or do I have something else going on?

That sounds good. If the is gets above 16 shut it down. After a while it should charge the battery up and go down to 12. But that first start up hits the battery hard and when the lights come or the fans that hurts.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds good. If the is gets above 16 shut it done. After a while it should charge the battery up and go down to 12. But that first start up hits the battery hard and when the lights come or the fans that hurts.
So this doesn't sound like an over voltage condition? I was sweating another electrical problem. Never had a volt meter in the car, just put it in to add to the factory AMP gauge and wanted to make sure I wasn't paranoid about having a potential problem.

I think your good to go as long as you are not over 16

So this doesn't sound like an over voltage condition? I was sweating another electrical problem. Never had a volt meter in the car, just put it in to add to the factory AMP gauge and wanted to make sure I wasn't paranoid about having a potential problem.

I would disconnect the amp guage in the dash and connect the wires together to bypass it.

Auto Transport Service
Back