• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

alternator wire

CHR73

Local time
7:03 AM
Reaction score
Hey
I must change black wire alternatormeter
Something matter on that black heavy stuff on wire .black wire is almost burning on bulkhead connect.
WP_20160704_09_56_22_Pro.jpg

Hey
I must change black wire alternatormeter
Something matter on that black heavy stuff on wire .black wire is almost burning on bulkhead connect.
View attachment 347022

So I am not sure I fully understand your question. Looks like you are working on the wires that connect to the Alternator gauge. There is a red wire (that comes from your battery) that hooks to one side of your alternator gauge. Then there is a black wire that hooks to the other side of the gauge. This black wire then powers the circuits in your car and also goes to the alternator itself.

You said "black wire is almost burning on bulkhead connect". Is it getting very hot and perhaps melting the plastic around the bulkhead? If so, you are putting too much power through it, probably due to an upgraded alternator and additional items in the car that take power.

Provide us some more details and we'd be glad to help you out.

WP_20160704_16_43_27_Pro.jpg
WP_20160704_16_45_31_Pro.jpg

Yes that what i mean altern.gauge wire .i think change whole wire (4mm)and i think red too .
WP_20160704_16_53_03_Pro.jpg
what is that black heavy thing that wire can i change it new.

Ok that helps understanding a lot.
Thank you all .

A loose connection will cause more resistance and than cause over heating which just gets worse and worse...

Caution. Make sure you check for lose connections and correct voltage coming out of the alternator. After I purchased my 73 Satellite I found melted insulation on the wire from the alternator under the dash at the fuse box. Could have been catastrophic.

IMG_0515.JPG IMG_0516.JPG

What is that acc (Brown )wire on photo
and batt pluq ? I dont have any wires there.

Red wire melted could be actually the batt wire... Alt wire is black on that section. Just becomes red on the splice running to ign switch and fuse box.

A burn like that could be more like a short than a overheat caused by resistence or overcharge, HOWEVER, an overheat could peel off somewhere the wire cover and THEN become on a short making contact with chassis around.

Voltage is never a problem, amperage it is

That red wire, is red because the po or the owner before him replaced that section of the black wire from the alternator, and he used a section of red wire. It is not factory correct.

need to be more specific on part of my statement... Voltage is never a problem TO THE WIRING AND TERMINALS... sure it is for the devices being sourced ( bulbs etc... )

Auto Transport Service
Back