• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anothere oil question,,,

Longknife

Local time
12:11 PM
Reaction score
I have a 440, stock bore with a cam, dual quads and headers. It also has a Melling HV/HP oil pump and pegs the gauge when the engine is started. The previous owner used Valvoline VR1 10-30 AND added a can of ZDDP. I am considering VR1 in 20-50, Can you have too much oil pressure?

I like 75/80 on cold start, maybe down to 50 at hot idle. Some say too much pressure is no good ( it'll build too much heat!) ( you'll rip the teeth off the pump drive!) ( you'll rob so much hp!) But a lot of online dyno testing has debunked these internet wives tales.
True testing is our friend
One man's opinion..

You can do LOTS of reading about engine oil suggestions doing a search on the forum. Due to my build, a higher zinc formula is called for. I did considerable research on oil and made a decision to lower the oil weight I was using finding the oil pressure always high and some unnecessary performance issues with it, mostly heat retention. I went with a 10-30w VR-1 after using 20-50 for a while. A stock motor I think would do fine with this weight for street driving. In my case with seasonal driving, oil and filter is changed about every 1000-1200 miles as it is.

I've run a 15-40 in all of my junk and I'm talking about stuff that's 30 years old. My newest vehicle is a 97 2500 with the Cummins diesel and it too gets the 15-40 oil....race cars too and never had a problem. If you have loose bearing clearances then run the heavier stuff imo.

You can also try switching to a standard pressure relief spring. I think the standard Mellings are rated at 45psi.

You are pegging the oem gauge, or an aftermarket mechanical one? And why would someone dump more ZDDP in with VR1?

I have a 440, stock bore with a cam, dual quads and headers. It also has a Melling HV/HP oil pump and pegs the gauge when the engine is started. The previous owner used Valvoline VR1 10-30 AND added a can of ZDDP. I am considering VR1 in 20-50, Can you have too much oil pressure?
You didn't say what oil is in it now or how high that gauge goes. You have a HV pump. I'd bet 10-30 would be heavy enough and VR1 has plenty of ZDDP already. I blew a NAPA Gold oil filter up a few weeks ago. That's too much oil pressure. But that car didn't have a gauge so I don't know when it happens. By the way, your car doesn't need much oil pressure to be happy.

You didn't say what oil is in it now or how high that gauge goes. You have a HV pump. I'd bet 10-30 would be heavy enough and VR1 has plenty of ZDDP already. I blew a NAPA Gold oil filter up a few weeks ago. That's too much oil pressure. But that car didn't have a gauge so I don't know when it happens. By the way, your car doesn't need much oil pressure to be happy.
Isn’t the saying 10lbs per 1000 rpm?

Is it a new engine?
My resent stroker pegged at ~80 PSI on start up on the dyno but settled down to 50 or so after warm up. Still does after a few warm ups.
My machinist / dyno guy said it is normal. Melling HV pump.

Auto Transport Service
Back