• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anvil....who has one??? Pic??

ZR9B

Local time
8:03 PM
Reaction score
Just like it says.....who has one and who actually uses it?? I have been wanting one to replace the one I had back in the day... I turns out the aint cheep!!! If you have one post a pic!

Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL.

image.jpg

I have a small one anvil. Maybe 150 lbs? I will never part with it. There not cheap by any means but if you look hard enough i would think you could still score one for a decent price. Unless your doing blacksmith work, on my welding rig many moons ago i had a 18 inch railroad track secured to the body floor. That actually worked out not bad, until i got a real anvil.

We have two about 100 years old each, 2 feet long point on on end, stands about 14" tall

I have a 2 foot section of rail my buddy gave me from their train line.

I too have a section of train track. Dug it up while building a new school in Camden. Who would bury something like that? Anyway, i’m glad he did.

Mine. Check out the anvils on "Garage Journal" if you have spare time-loads of them.
IMG_1412.JPG

Notice the pain medicine on the floor? Just in case you smash a finger!
Mike

I use my 5" vice.

...but I like the rail idea.

Now to find a short length.

I have a clue where to dig, but finding a piece short enough to be manageable will be the challenge.

Rail is categorized by the weight of 3 foot sections. 70#, 100# and 130# are common IIRC.

Some weldment I picked out of a steel scrap bin.
No clue what it was made for but it works really good as an anvil...

upload_2018-10-10_9-15-52.png

This is my Anvil. Couldn't afford an older one. I found this at a local flea market shop that sells inexpensive tools. I think I paid $75 for it.

IMG_20181010_101126939.jpg

I use this for breaking the inner race on axle bearings when I remove them. The bolts hold the axle in place, and most of the hammer/chisel energy goes to the race.

IMG_1019[1].JPG

Got one from my dad in the garage.... somewhere..

The TV stuff has made them popular. There's a big difference in the good ones and an ASO - anvil shaped object. But not everyone is forging hinges, horseshoes or hand making nails.

Auto Transport Service
Back