• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody bought acetylene in a while?

Dodge33

Local time
2:21 PM
Reaction score
I just went and bought acetylene and oxygen this afternoon, and we only have medium size tanks. The issue is with our state I believe. I do not know if it is nationwide, but
the owner waited on me, and said " there is a
50.00 fee per tank, (Hazmat) charge, I was not very happy, but the owner was more upset, and was bitching about all this with me. He has a very nice place there, and keeps quite alot of inventory, but things are really getting dicey, and they may have to go out business. What a shame........

Was it a Hydro test fee maybe?

I just bought a replacement torch tip. Used to be $12 Now $29
Bought a miller mig tip insulator.
Used to get 5 for $20+
Now 1 for $39

I bought a propane tip for my torch, just use 20 lb. bbq. tanks for fuel. A tiny bit less heat when mixed with oxygen, but no smoky flame when you spark it up. Looks something like this, it's a two piece tip. Works with natural gas too.
1691554870472.jpeg

propane is a good alternative fuel and will do the job ! as you said just get the correct tip !

A couple of weeks ago I went to replace my mig tank (large). Been dealing with this shop for years and I always get a "special" price. The guy looks at his screen and says "this is ridiculous, I can't charge you that". He fiddles with the computer a bit more and says "Huh, it won't let me change the price. Screw it, take the tank and I'll catch you next time." As we're loading the tank he say's "The hell with it - this one's a freebee".

Was it a Hydro test fee maybe?

I just bought a replacement torch tip. Used to be $12 Now $29
Bought a miller mig tip insulator.
Used to get 5 for $20+
Now 1 for $39

No... it is a fee that they are having to charge their customers, probably government you know.

A couple of weeks ago I went to replace my mig tank (large). Been dealing with this shop for years and I always get a "special" price. The guy looks at his screen and says "this is ridiculous, I can't charge you that". He fiddles with the computer a bit more and says "Huh, it won't let me change the price. Screw it, take the tank and I'll catch you next time." As we're loading the tank he say's "The hell with it - this one's a freebee".

What a great story..... and really good customer service! That was nice.

Hey everybody..... I say this, we do not use are torches alot, mostly just for heating up
steel, and some cutting, but that's about it.
I just bought the juices, so they are here when we NEED it! We have a Miller plasma cutter, which we use quite alot, and comes in very handy. It is starting to get pretty sad with the prices that all of us have to indure
in trying to move forward. I hate to write this,
but when it comes to, push comes to shove
and we decide to give it all up, we will have a very large sale. Thanks to all for posting on the thread!

My 75/25 bottle is getting really low. I have a small job to do and I hope I don't run out. I noticed this the last time I used the welder and called around local to me to see if someone would fill it. Even though I own the bottle no one will fill a bottle that wasn't theirs in the first place. So I'll have to take it back to the place I bought it from down in Maryland. PITA! Then I guess I'll find out what new fees will be added.

Thanks Dodge33 for the heads up :thumbsup:

Yes I did way too expensive. Local auto parts store is a drop off point. I called the home company about 40 miles away, and I could have saved $100.00 if I would have brought the bottle to them and had it filled, none of those EPA charges. But I needed the gas right now for a job.

That's why you always have back of two cylinders. Pricing getting like gasoline up and down. It's a shame

That's why you always have back of two cylinders. Pricing getting like gasoline up and down. It's a shame

I agree, but I already have at least 2 or 3 extra bottles of each one, and that is including the torch set we acquired when our father passed away.

The crazy part there is no reason to inflat pricing. But it's going to continue

Auto Transport Service
Back