• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone install Vintage Air in a 1967 Coronet?

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:34 AM
Reaction score
I have followed @Kern Dog excellent step by step AC install threads (68 and 70 B Body installs), but wondered if anyone tackled a 67 B Body for Vintage Air. My kit ships tomorrow and I've been quickly reading through the instructions on line. About the only item that seems intimidating is the modifications/retrofitting/fabrication for the controls. I clearly see what they are doing by adding a lever actuator, but I get a knot in my stomach whenever I see "cut and file" mentioned so many times in the instructions.
Thanks for any advice.

Is there a chance that they have a suggestion to where you may be able to send your parts for them to modify so you can just install them?

Is there a chance that they have a suggestion to where you may be able to send your parts for them to modify so you can just install them?
Not that I can see. Here is the link for your reading pleasure. I have to say it is innovative in design in that the original control buttons become windows for the slider control positions and the hot cold lever stays pretty much the same.

https://www.vintageair.com/instructions_pdf/474157.pdf

Last edited:
That looks really easy. A few small cuts and some "filing" looks to be the extent of it.
I'm no master fabricator but I can cut, grind, weld and build stuff. That looks well within the skill level of a guy that can follow directions.
I'm sure you're up for it. Maybe look for a spare in case you make a mistake and need a second try at it?

Watching, I'm considering the vintage air for my 67 Coronet

Aftermarket A/C systems can have little challenges, and sometimes you can find nicer vents and stuff. I added some A/C stuff to my friend's car, while doing the 6.4 swap. I had already added the air when it had the gen-II hemi in it. Some of the aftermarket parts can be generic and a little cheesy looking. I've done 3 A/C installs, and they all needed to be "fit" at some point. I actually liked the passenger side vent in my `cuda, better than the factory cut-outs in the OEM dash/A/C.

Wagon interior 4-15-23 2.jpg

cuda carpet across dash.jpg

Had to weld spacers to the heater-box for a proper fit to cowl. Also had to move their suggested hole locations. All in a day's work, fabricating...
024.JPG

The kit arrived in three boxes yesterday. I am still unpacking and looking at the inventory of items. First bump in the road is the Compressor/Power Steering bracket. This kit is for 'Modern Saginaw Power Steering pumps". If you have a TRW pump you will need bracket 161010, which of course is missing from my kit. I sent an email to Vintage Air tonight asking about this item.

I guess I should be impressed in that Vintage Air actually replied to my email after hours, but also not happy in that I don't have a solution. From everything I have read you get two choices for compressor mounting:
1) Modern Saginaw
2) TRW Thompson
Both kits say 'will not work with Federal Power Steering pumps'.
I'll post a picture of my power steering pump next. I think it is a Federal.

Last edited:
This is a Federal power steering pump, correct?

IMG_20240405_193410634.jpg

Looks like it to me

Guess you have to look at the back side
1696551316667.jpeg.jpg

I have that same picture, BUT the backside is smooth on my pump. Also, note the high pressure connection. On both pumps it is on the rear. On my pump the high pressure line is on the front side.

IMG_20240405_193410634.jpg

Okay, so perhaps the plan should be to buy a 'modern Saginaw' pump. What about the high pressure fitting? Custom line needed? I'll look around and post another thread about this is I find nothing.

You could always let this snowball and buy a whole borgeson kit from Bergman Haha

My '67 R/T has a TRW (Thompson) pump on it. I believe your pump is TRW as well, looking at bracket and pulley. I installed Vintage Air in my 1964 Polara that also had a TRW pump. My '64 had the earlier style 2-piece stamped steel mounting bracket. I had to buy a repro bracket like yours to mount the compressor. I think V.A. mounting kit will work fine for you, based on my experience. You will have to play around with different thickness spacers, included in kit, to mount this.

My '67 R/T has a TRW (Thompson) pump on it. I believe your pump is TRW as well, looking at bracket and pulley. I installed Vintage Air in my 1964 Polara that also had a TRW pump. My '64 had the earlier style 2-piece stamped steel mounting bracket. I had to buy a repro bracket like yours to mount the compressor. I think V.A. mounting kit will work fine for you, based on my experience. You will have to play around with different thickness spacers, included in kit, to mount this.
Thanks, but if you look below (copied from the Vintage Air instructions) it states the Federal Pump has a cap "much like a radiator cap". Not sure why, but it clearly says 'TRW bracket will not work with a Federal pump'.
1712376752326.png

"Does not work with Federal pump" (last sentence)
1712376879125.png

My 67 coronet 4 door parts car has the same power steering pump looks like a TRW
20240405_181213.jpg
20240405_180959.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back