• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know of a Spectra business?

69 GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:14 PM
Reaction score
Looking for someone with a spectra business or Hydra Chrome. This is a coating process. I've seen Jay Leno in one of their videos. A lower cost alternative to chrome plating.

Last edited:
The guys at Counts Customs used that system on one of their shows. It looked great, but I don't know how long it looks that way.

I hear ya, I was going to use it on my rear seat emblem. I doubt it'll see much abuse.

I've also seen before guys painting black then spraying the silver over it for a mirror/chrome finish with automotive paints.

There is also chrome vinyl wrap ( probably wouldn't work in this case), and Chrome powder coat is getting better every year it seems. Powder coat is probably the most affordable route. For small parts you could even spray yourself for the cost of a HF or eastwood powder coat gun and the powder, about 150. Check out eastwoods website they sell the chrome powder. Another option you may consider is hydro dip. I just had my grille and rear tail panel hydro-dipped and it turned out really nice. Small parts are fairly cheap to have dipped and unlike powder coat you can even do plastic pieces.

Here is a pic of the tail panel with gold and black carbon fiber film hydro dipped. Sorry i dont have a close up.

20170930_101300.jpg

Where did you have it done?

http://www.northtexashydrographics.com/ They do good work but if you look around you may be able to find someone closer to you. A lot of gun guys use this process so you may talk to some of the gun community in your area if none of the car guys know about it. Its been around for a few yrs now. I first saw it used on Wheeler Dealers on some wheels.

I had the spray chrome done to my dash plastic that was chrome but worn off. It really does look chrome, but shop and compare price to the " vacuum" process. It is a paint and only as durable as the Urathane clear coat .
Two things, make sure your parts are smooth to start with . It can be put on over body filler and primer--just like paint.....Make sure they use a clear coat that will stay clear with age and not turn yellowish. .......................MO

SpectraChrome and its spray-on chrome progeny were "all the rage" a few years ago but it's dying off at an alarming rate and very few new operations are opening up, and for good reason. It wasn't UV stable (so it tarnished / discolored) and most companies I read about were having a lot of trouble finding a suitable clear coat to seal it and make it UV stable.

The only one I even hear from recently is FutureChrome in New York. Its rep, who still calls me like every six months to see if I'm ready to spend the $30,000 to get set up (!!!! as if LOL -- I have my hands full now with my real job), insists that it's amazing and all of their research "proves that it lasts." My problem with it is that the technology is still too new ... I wanna see what it looks like in a year, or ten, or twenty, and with my own eyes instead of from ten feet back in a YouTube video.

It may indeed have its uses but those who have had (or intend to keep) their cars for a few decades might want to invest in a real, triple-plate nickel / copper / chromium chrome job done by a reputable facility.

Last edited:
Thank you Cuda Chick for the info, as usual your right on top of things. I should have just asked you to start with. Again thanks for the reply.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back