• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone successful with 275's on the front of 2nd gen charger?

Rusty knuckles

Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
Anyone successful fitting a 275 front tire without using a Sawzall, cut off wheel, torch or other metal removing or lift kit on a 68, 69, or 70 charger? I've been searching and saw exactly 2 posts on a different forum a decade old saying they did it but no details on mods. Found some threads on 3rd gens, but no 2nd gens. I found some 275's I'd really like to run but I know 245 is the common recommendation with a few folks saying 255.

ok can I ask why you want to run such a big tire on the front of your car?

I like to be different and I could use more front tire on the track.
imagejpeg_0.jpg

Why not?

275-40-18 on an 18 x 9" rim with 4 3/4" back spacing.

1 A (2).jpg

Same size years later, different tread pattern.

Bad mu fu (2).jpg

They fit, they clear and do not rub.

Folsom 11.JPG

I wanted a NASCAR look for my car, the type where the tires look stuffed under there.

132.jpg

8100 H.jpg

Charger NC 1.jpg

1. Understeer sucks?
2. 70% of your stopping force is generated by the front axle
3. 2/3 of a cars static weight is on front tires
4. Some believe form follows function

Would be my first reasons.

The body is stock. The frame rails are stock. I've made no cuts. I do have 1.15" torsion bars which do help to prevent extreme nose dive. I have the battery in the trunk and the 440/495 is lighter due to aluminum heads, intake and water pump housing. I don't think you could fit this size tire in a Satellite or Coronet but the Charger fenders do bulge out more.
Do I feel more? I'm not sure how to answer that. I love how this car tracks down the road. It holds in the corners, it responds and grips the road.

There is a guy that used to post at Moparts by the screen name Rylis Pro.
He had a 305 series tire in his '70 Cuda, all four tires too! I don't know what modifications he did. That is 30 millimeters wider than me.
I could fit wider if I ran more negative camber to tilt the outer edge up and in a bit but these 275s fit and clear fine.

He had a 305 series tire in his '70 Cuda, all four tires too! I don't know what modifications he did. That is 30 millimeters wider than me.
I could fit wider if I ran more negative camber to tilt the outer edge up and in a bit but these 275s fit and clear fine.
I believe he actually went another step up later to 315.

I liked his style.:bananadance:

I'd like to go 305 or 315 in the back but will probably stick with 275 to have a square stance.

I'd like to go 305 or 315 in the back but will probably stick with 275 to have a square stance.
Then you'd need less back spacing on the rear wheels to push the wheel out more to match the front.
The quarter panels bulge out more than the fenders, from what I have noticed. I run a 10" wide rear wheel, a 9" front. This gives that "square stance" you may be looking for.

SF 101.png

SF 103.png

305's on the front of my widebody hellcat charger were a handful sometimes on crappy everyday driving. They would definitely grab at imperfections and that was a seriously modern suspension in comparison.

I was thinking square in terms of same tire on all corners for rotation sake but that might not be the best plan.

Each corner of my car is unique, it turns out. The design of the wheel and width is specific. I didn't plan for that, it just worked out that way. My rims have a 5 spoke design that twists. The front wheels are narrower than the rears so I actually do have a left front wheel, right front and so on. This could be a problem if I damage one bad enough to need a replacement.
I didn't mind running the different widths....Many high end new cars do that so why not us?

Yeah thats true. My front tires get tore up quicker than the rears so was thinking it might be nice to be able to rotate them but it's not like it's a yearly problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back