• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto World Releases 1/64th 74 Roadrunners

Bruzilla

Local time
10:27 AM
Reaction score
New for 2017! Get 'em now before they quit making them and prices go up. They make black, blue, and red. They have a 73 hood, but who cares? :)

AW64112_2017Rel3_74RoadRunner_VerB.jpg

aw_PLYMOUTH-ROAD-RUNNER3.jpg

AW64023_1973RoadRunner-2.jpg

The first run was in red (which they called orange) or silver.

They are really nice quality and detail with good proportions.

If you can find them at wal-mart, they are about $6.

Otherwise be prepared to pay $10 plus shipping or more.

Same goes for their 64/65 Barracuda.

The first release ones have been selling for $20-$40 on ebay. I just bought two black ones for $10 each shipped. Now... if I can just find some 1/64th scale Superbird decals. :)

1973 hood? How is the '74 hood different from the '73?

And big blocks? Why not? Both the 400 and 440 were still on the menu for these two years.

Models look great, have to keep an eye out for them. :thumbsup:

You could get a 440 in a roadrunner in 74??? I thought only a gtx?

They would need to change the decals for a RR/GTX.

73 hood has vent slots, 74 does not.

Wonder why they didn't just call it a 73.

You could get a 440 in a roadrunner in 74??? I thought only a gtx?
Plymouth merged the Roadrunner and GTX models in 1972, so if you got a Roadrunner with a 440, it was a Roadrunner GTX... really a Roadrunner with a GTX badge stuck on the hood.

Looking at the pics Bru posted- it IS a 73, at least the roof stripes are 1973.

Hood, gas tank and steering wheel are the main visual spotting features on 73 vs 74 Satellites.

The stripe is a huge spotting feature on a RR.

Looking at the pics Bru posted- it IS a 73, at least the roof stripes are 1973.

Hood, gas tank and steering wheel are the main visual spotting features on 73 vs 74 Satellites.

The stripe is a huge spotting feature on a RR.
I would have to disagree with you on the stripes. I have never seen a factory solid roof stripe on a 74 Roadrunner. The first time I even knew such a thing existed was when I ordered a new stripe set in 1988 from Year One and saw they had a strobe set for 73 and a solid set for 74. The only factory solid stripe I've ever seen for 74 Satellite was the Sundance package stripe.

This is the brochure picture for the 74, and both cars have strobes.

1974%20Chrysler-Plymouth-24-25.jpg

Here's another ad...

mas1992a.jpg

Here's a couple of unrestored cars...

Kx19ybwGl.1_11.jpg

525061-1000-0.jpg

I have seen a couple of pictures of cars with the solid stripe, but they had been restored and I'm guessing someone saw solid stripes listed as being for 74, but I've never seen a 74 with factory solid stripes. Lots and lots with strobes, none with solid.

Last edited:
I was thinking it was the other way around.

People restoring a 74 thought the strobe looked cooler.

Still, why not just call it a 73, if you have a 73 hood on the model?

...and the bumper guards are slightly larger on 74- again, hard to spot in 1:64

I was thinking it was the other way around.

People restoring a 74 thought the strobe looked cooler.

Still, why not just call it a 73, if you have a 73 hood on the model?

...and the bumper guards are slightly larger on 74- again, hard to spot in 1:64
I've only ever seen two sets of bumper guards for 73/74 cars. One is the all rubber type that attaches to the bumper with one bolt that was the standard for all Satellites and Roadrunners, and the Bright Bumper Guards, which were the chrome and rubber ones that use two bolts that were optional on all Satellites and Roadrunners.

Plymouth merged the Roadrunner and GTX models in 1972, so if you got a Roadrunner with a 440, it was a Roadrunner GTX... really a Roadrunner with a GTX badge stuck on the hood.
And I believe on the trunk under the standing bird. I have seen that before as well as the one on the hood bulge.

Also, I have never seen a 74 with solid stripe over the roof.

Bru is correct, only solid rubber or bright bumper guards were available either year.

And I believe on the trunk under the standing bird. I have seen that before as well as the one on the hood bulge.

Also, I have never seen a 74 with solid stripe over the roof.

Bru is correct, only solid rubber or bright bumper guards were available either year.
Yep. I've seen this car and that's about it.

0706_mopp_05_z1974_plymouth_road_ru.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back