• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B body bible

BeeBoy2Bee

Local time
10:19 AM
Reaction score
Guys, I'm back into the search for a "B" body car. In particular '67 GTX. Before I go too far I need printed material. I have been looking at 4 cars and there are differences, especially under the hood. What book/s are the B Body bible for this model? The ones that list all the numbers, pics that show what's correct, things to look for etc. Appreciate your time and effort.

IMHO, there is no "bible" that you are referring too. That is because factories varied a little from factory to factory. The closest would be David Wise books not sure what years his covers

IMHO, there is no "bible" that you are referring too. That is because factories varied a little from factory to factory. The closest would be David Wise books not sure what years his covers
X2

Dave Wise books are a great reference and a must for any OE restorer but they are not a "how to" or "100% correct" guide. He even states that....They are the best reference available IMHO...However, pre 68 there is ZERO references....

I do not have this guys contact info but Greg Lane I have been told is a go to guy for pre 68 cars...

http://maxwedge.com

Do not, repeat do not, spend money on that book. There are errors and plain wrong info starting on page 1.

While there is some accurate information, the amount of errors in the book force you to question everything else. You have to find other references to check the validity of what is written anyway so the book becomes useless.

Spend the money on a factory service manual and parts book.
Ask detailed questions on credible message boards.

Between the assembly line changes & inaccurate books printed; you are up for a challenge. I once bought an HP published book(?)on restoration for ‘68 -70 Coronets and was so disgusted I gave it away to a buddy that once owned a ‘68 Satellite for just general info. There was so much wrong info that I disgusted. The book said a chrome knob on seat adjuster & mine was black & never molested. Original owner of a Bee, so I know what’s been changed or not.

Between the assembly line changes & inaccurate books printed; you are up for a challenge. I once bought an HP published book(?)on restoration for ‘68 -70 Coronets and was so disgusted I gave it away to a buddy that once owned a ‘68 Satellite for just general info. There was so much wrong info that I disgusted. The book said a chrome knob on seat adjuster & mine was black & never molested. Original owner of a Bee, so I know what’s been changed or not.
Dave Wise's material is the best available.......

The rest is research of what you have in front of you in essence let the car speak....Research, research and more research....

Plants had variations in parts, markings, processes etc.....67 X was built in the ST louis plant and you cannot take a beautifully restored 67 charger as a comparison....stay within plant and model line of cars restored at that plant for your year....

I'm really surprised that '67's, both Dodge R/T and Plymouth GTX are covered in any books. After all, they were the start up cars for serious marketing of horsepower. I guess i'll have to use my instinct. One last question. What is the absolute proof that the 440 sitting in the engine bay of a '67 GTX says it the original engine? Thanks for the help.

I'm really surprised that '67's, both Dodge R/T and Plymouth GTX are covered in any books. After all, they were the start up cars for serious marketing of horsepower. I guess i'll have to use my instinct. One last question. What is the absolute proof that the 440 sitting in the engine bay of a '67 GTX says it the original engine? Thanks for the help.
No vin stampings in 67.....so you will have to look at casting date and assembly date and compare to the cars build date.....then factor in the patina of everything....motors are typically assembled a week prior to build date of the car....the casting date will be prior to that.....

Spend the money on a factory service manual and parts book.
Ask detailed questions on credible message boards.

Ha Ha, I had an "expert" argue with me that the pulley on my 318 was not stock, it was ONLY used on Hemi's..... When I pointed out that the car was a survivor, all numbers matched AND the parts book said it was the correct pulley for the 318 (ONLY in 1968) all I got was "the parts books were wrong".....

Jim

Ha Ha, I had an "expert" argue with me that the pulley on my 318 was not stock, it was ONLY used on Hemi's..... When I pointed out that the car was a survivor, all numbers matched AND the parts book said it was the correct pulley for the 318 (ONLY in 1968) all I got was "the parts books were wrong".....

Jim
The first tipoff they guy didn't know what he was talking about was questioning a 318 pulley in relation to a hemi.....How many people today know what an original 318 with equipment looks like? Not me...and your car being a survivor just may be a good idea for you to make a thread on the original parts in relation to that motor....Or add that to the tail end of your build thread...

More and more people are starting to restore cars with what they were born with vs ripping the SB out and putting a BB in it...This is where your information truly benefits another Jim...

Don't you just love these "experts"?

The first tipoff they guy didn't know what he was talking about was questioning a 318 pulley in relation to a hemi.....How many people today know what an original 318 with equipment looks like? Not me...and your car being a survivor just may be a good idea for you to make a thread on the original parts in relation to that motor....Or add that to the tail end of your build thread...

More and more people are starting to restore cars with what they were born with vs ripping the SB out and putting a BB in it...This is where your information truly benefits another Jim...

So far the parts have been exactly what is in the parts book. Of course I paid the price for a Hemi alternator pulley after i dropped it on the floor and bent it. :)

Last edited:
I've been looking for books to read and reference for my 67 Coronet restoration, which I am finally ready to begin. I have the factory service manual ordered online, should arrive any day, but also purchased "Mopar B-Body Restoration 1966-1970". Easy to find this book online and for someone who has little knowledge about these cars or how to go about restoration, it's worth buying. It does cover the basics but for me however, I didn't learn much and it wasn't worth the money spent.

Yup, I’m constantly saying “yes” it’s got a 440,, but ‘68 Bee’s only came w/383 or Hemi. Lots of normal car guys have a fixation on 440’s I guess.

I've been looking for books to read and reference for my 67 Coronet restoration, which I am finally ready to begin. I have the factory service manual ordered online, should arrive any day, but also purchased "Mopar B-Body Restoration 1966-1970". Easy to find this book online and for someone who has little knowledge about these cars or how to go about restoration, it's worth buying. It does cover the basics but for me however, I didn't learn much and it wasn't worth the money spent.

Could've download the factory service manuals and parts books for free at www.mymopar.com . Just saying

Yup, I’m constantly saying “yes” it’s got a 440,, but ‘68 Bee’s only came w/383 or Hemi. Lots of normal car guys have a fixation on 440’s I guess.
Yup I get that question constantly too. The best ones are at the shows with the hood up!

Auto Transport Service
Back