• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Basic tool box/tools for the track

Roughbird72

Local time
2:01 AM
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a little more racing, maybe up to a dozen street meets a year. Usually i just put the top half of my roll-a-way in the truck, it's heavy & i'm getting too old to just pick it up throw it in the back... lol. i just have an open trailer & tow it with my Ram. I'm thinking just the basics for minor adjustments or quick fixes :shruggy: I was just wondering how many tools some of you take to the track on a regular basis, for say an 10-11 second car.

I am not any help because I tend to bring everything but the kitchen sink and then I'll be darned I need the kitchen sink :eek:ops: good luck and I'm sure you will get some good advice.

Bring SUPERSTOCKRACER 's trailer with you.

- - - Updated - - -

Bring whatever you can fit and I guarantee you'll need to borrow something from someone.

I have a box I keep just for the track. It has mostly inexpensive hand tools that I can afford to lose (in case I loan them and don't get them back). I have one 'rack' of standard combination wrenches (I like racks as you can easily tell if you left one out), one set of stubby combination wrenches, two pairs of vice grips, one each of cutters, needle nose, large/small pliers. a Wire cutter/stripper, 3-4 sizes of straight and Phillips screwdrivers. 3/8 ratchet, set of standard and deep sockets, short and long extensions, medium ball-peen hammer, pry bar, small and medium crescent wrench, razor blade knife, sharp putty knife/scraper, flat file, rat tail file, thread file. I have a cheap volt meter, electrical tape, duct tape, 14 gauge wire (small roll), 2-3 small hose clamps and 3-4 large hose clamps, a couple of extra spark plugs, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, wd-40. There is probably some stuff I missed, but I'd have to go out and look at my kit.
All of this fits in a plastic toot box I got at Sears. It's about 2 ft tall and consists of two trays that fit on top of a deeper box. I can take a picture of it better than I can describe it. I can grab this box and know it has nearly everything I might need at the track.

7/16-3/4 box end open end. Gear wrench and standard is perfect. There are cases when you need two of the same size wrench

The same goes for sockets. bring 7/16-1" half inch drive. Incl. breaker bar... to bust lug nuts off. Also 7/16-3/4 3/8 drive.

nut driver for carb bowls. and a few sizes of flat and Philips head screw driver.

Compression checker,

A couple of sizes of crescent wrenches, they're good to keep in the car in case you notice a fuel leak in staging.

Wire strippers with some connectors.... for that short that sneaks up on you.

That should cover most issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back