• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery issue.

nkrupa71

Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
Elizabeth, Colorado, Fort Collins, Colorado
As the weather has gotten warmer, the time of year to bring out my mopar ( 1971 roadrunner) has come up and exciting. One issue: started the car, ran and idled like normal, took it for a spin for about 20 min. Came back and opend the hood and the battery was leaking and the vapors had damaged the inner fender. The battery I have in the car is an optima red top sealed battery, but why would a sealed battery even leak? When i took the battery out it was super hot and i assumed that was not normal. Started the car again today and let it idle in the driveway. Same issue where the battery overheated but did not splatter. Looked at the gauges and the alternator gauge needle was moving super high when i would give the car a rev and even when i pressed the brake pedal. Alternator issue? electircal short? something else major? Feedback would be appreciated.

I also have a Red Top, however I have never had this issue. Maybe take the battery out of the car and bench test it with a toaster tester. Try putting it on a battery charger and see if it has similar results. Swap the battery with another one.Thats where I would start.

I’d replace the voltage regulator. If its charging the battery way too high over 15 volts is too much. Put a voltmeter on the battery

Last edited:
Check the charge voltage while the car I stopped running with a colt ohm meter. If the voltage regulator is toast it will over charge. What your describing is an over charge condition.

Yes Optima's do leak. My RV blue top cabin battery did the same. It was 7 years old so I guess I got the life out of it. A friend had his swell but didn't leak.His charging system checked out fine. I wouldn't be suprised if your system checks out good.
Please let us know what you find.

I'm with PJM. I'd suspect the regulator. Are you running an old mechanical regulator or a newer electronic model like a Wells VR706? Swapping out my old factory mechanical regulator for a Wells VR706 solved my overcharging problem 3 years ago. No problems since.

I agree with the above statements but....Two things come to mind, regarding the regulator and charging issue. The first is to make sure the regulator is well grounded, (sand the paint off the ears that mount it to the firewall) and also sand the attaching area, I put a dab of grease under the contact points to prevent corrosion. Second, if you still have an Amp Gauge, (instead of a Volt Gauge), check the disconnect where the wire goes through the firewall to and from the gauge. That area is famous for the connection going bad and even catching on fire!
I too have a red top Optima that is now 7 years old with no issues, (trunk mounted). Good luck, I hope you find it soon.

I'm with PJM. I'd suspect the regulator. Are you running an old mechanical regulator or a newer electronic model like a Wells VR706? Swapping out my old factory mechanical regulator for a Wells VR706 solved my overcharging problem 3 years ago. No problems since.
Being thats a 71 it would be electronic from the factory.

Check the batt ground connection/cables. This is the sort a thing where being overly **** is suggested. If the car was stored critters could have done some electrical work for you at no charge...

Auto Transport Service
Back