• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Coolant To Use Now Days?

I've always used the Prestone 50/50 mix distilled water and never an issue ..
By the way, how many people know that distilled water does not corrode anything? When I was at Georgia Tech many years ago I saw some sealed glass jars with distilled water and regular steel nails in them and they looked like new after years. It's the oxygen dissolved in tap water that causes the corrosion.

Hmm, never heard that before, but that said, I don't think I'd chance running straight distilled water.

What about the oxygen in the water released by the reaction with the iron in the block?

Need to replace my exhaust manifold gaskets on my 70 Roadrunner (383 auto, stock radiator) and have bolts now so going to install a stud kit first so need to drain the cooling system. I have owned the 70 Roadrunner for 3 years now and it was "sort" of restored 10 years before that so best I think to use new coolant since it has been at least 13 years.. What's the best coolant to use now days? Been a long time since I have bought "regular" coolant for an older "classic". My other "older" classic has a Be-Cool aluminum radiator so been using Be-Cool's coolant in that.

Thanks

I use Peak Global Lifetime an Organic Acid Technology(OAT) coolant -> https://peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-and-cool/auto/globallifetime-5050/
  • No silicates
  • No phosphate
  • No 2EHA
Buy it when it's on sale at K-mart...
250x410_Global_5050-3-1.png

I am REEEAAALY leery of anything touted as "lifetime".

Besides, changing coolant on these old cars is so damned easy, it is almost a pleasure, especially when compared to my daily drivers.

Auto Transport Service
Back