• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Glue or Epoxy - plastic to aluminum

dspur

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:03 PM
Reaction score
What would be the best glue or epoxy to adhere this plastic bulb casing to the aluminum housing on a Rallye dash? This is on a 69 Bee.

The company that restored it evidently didn’t use what was needed to create a good bond, two of them have come loose.

TIA

IMG_2625.jpeg

Either Jb Weld Clear 5-minute epoxy or the tried-and-true Jb weld Og that cures overnight. I have used both with great results.

the one above looks like it has clear adhesive squishing out. I would scuff both sides and stick it together with epoxy.

Original jb weld if it's not going to be visible. I've been using clear weld recently and it doesn't seem to harden if it has any thickness to it or have the adhesion qualities of the grey stuff. It would probably be fine though for something light weight like that.

What would be the best glue or epoxy to adhere this plastic bulb casing to the aluminum housing on a Rallye dash? This is on a 69 Bee.

The company that restored it evidently didn’t use what was needed to create a good bond, two of them have come loose.

TIA

View attachment 1647061
I personally like Gorilla glue

Is there enough plastic "stud" left to melt it into a shop head like was originally done? Otherwise my "go to" these days is Gorilla 10 second Super Glue.

Is there enough plastic "stud" left to melt it into a shop head like was originally done? Otherwise my "go to" these days is Gorilla 10 second Super Glue.
Yeah prob not. I’ll double check tho.

Alum to plastic is a tough nut to crack, mainly because the expansion rates are so different, and a hot dash says it all.
So look for an adhesive that remains slightly flexible, as I doubt there are any structural concerns here.

Alum to plastic is a tough nut to crack, mainly because the expansion rates are so different, and a hot dash says it all.
So look for an adhesive that remains slightly flexible, as I doubt there are any structural concerns here.
Don't make it sound more difficult then it needs to be.

Just use some gorilla GEL super glue.

If you can find it, T-88 is among the strongest structural epoxy adhesives that you can find. It's been used to glue wings (carbon fibre) onto aircraft.

a dab of clear silicone seems to adhere to everything on the planet and is almost impossible to remove....... just takes a while to cure

Carefully drill through the tabs at the location of the studs and use #4 screws and nuts to secure it....

a dab of clear silicone seems to adhere to everything on the planet and is almost impossible to remove....... just takes a while to cure
Depends on the plastic. One thing that it won't stick to at all, for example, is the plastic door lining under the door panel.

If you can find it, T-88 is among the strongest structural epoxy adhesives that you can find. It's been used to glue wings (carbon fibre) onto aircraft.
Panel bond adhesive, the stuff they use to install door hinges these days. 3M sells it in a calking type tube. I have used it to repair trim studs, works great just wear disposable gloves!

I have tried that hack using Super Glue and a sprinkling of Baking powder....it works well.
I have used it on several different materials....including a toilet waste pipe that I accidentally drilled into....lol

That stuff sets nice and hard and stays strong for a long time. :thumbsup:

I also used that method on a brush cap for a 60-Volt DC motor - Bakelite plastic material....set in seconds. I just applied several coats, and it was done. This was on a commercial paint vibrator machine....so it would have clapped out by now if it wasn't up to the task.

:xscuseless:

20230807_185622.jpg

There was enough to melt it. Did that and it worked great. Got the Gorilla glue as a stand by but did not use it. I have another that fell off but have to remove the board to get to it. I am going to do this to all of them in place as I do not trust the glue they used now.

Thank you for the advice and help.

Auto Transport Service
Back