• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best modern AC for 70 Charger RT?

I have the same system in my '69. Works great and lets me drive it on days I'd normally leave it at home.

Great!! Could you send some pics? Was it difficult to install? I live in a hot place and I think this is a must.

That's what I have. Love it. I can shoot pics if you want.

I have Vintage Air, 32 degrees coming out of the vents:thumbsup:. You'll get good feedback about both the Classic auto air and Vintage Air, my suggestion is to just look over the different components and find what you like. Mine is servo operated with everything being concealable which was my goal. Also pump mounting was the other big consideration but I went serpentine with a passenger side low mount, really like how much it cleans up the plumbing being where it should be.

20170707_230537.jpg
20170219_194132.jpg

Classic Auto Air here. 10 years. Ice cold. Never a recharge or hiccup. They were in Tampa then on Kennedy Blvd. I have seen 29 at the vent. Distribution has improved since my purchase. Mine uses the existing cable controls, newer reported to have better control box. Would not be without it. Reno, Vegas can get pretty hot.

IMG_4822.JPG
IMG_4823.JPG
IMG_4824.JPG
No issues with the install. I did mine when the dash and motor were out so it was far easier but after doing that I wouldn't be afraid to do one with everything in the way. The mounting bracket didn't line up well but that was an easy mod. Makes it look busy but it does work great.

WOW!! Thanks everybody. I appreciate your pics and help. Your installation looks really great, 747mopar. It looks smooth and clean. As I am building a restomod, that´s exactly what I want...
Where did you do it? Did you order to Vintage Air those metallic tubes? Can you recommend me any place in Florida (car is in Melbourne) to do the installation?

WOW!! Thanks everybody. I appreciate your pics and help. Your installation looks really great, 747mopar. It looks smooth and clean. As I am building a restomod, that´s exactly what I want...
Where did you do it? Did you order to Vintage Air those metallic tubes? Can you recommend me any place in Florida (car is in Melbourne) to do the installation?
Thanks.

I ordered everything from Summit Racing but no kit, just picked out everything as I went. I mounted the evaporator, pump and condenser before ordering any plumbing. The aluminum tubes are also Vintage Air bought from Summit Racing as well. For the hoses I bought the ends and bare hose, fitted them to the car then took them to a local shop to be crimped. The serpentine kit is from SD Concepts and to me the most important aspect of keeping it clean with the pump being low and already on the passenger side.

As for installation, I'm not familiar with any shops in Florida and did mine myself. Might start a thread asking the Florida members for recommendations?

I will follow closely your instructions. Your explanations of the process have been wonderful.
Do you feel any loss of power with the AC?

Could you send more pics if the serpentine?
If you have the link to buy it, it would be fantastic too.

Thanks.

I ordered everything from Summit Racing but no kit, just picked out everything as I went. I mounted the evaporator, pump and condenser before ordering any plumbing. The aluminum tubes are also Vintage Air bought from Summit Racing as well. For the hoses I bought the ends and bare hose, fitted them to the car then took them to a local shop to be crimped. The serpentine kit is from SD Concepts and to me the most important aspect of keeping it clean with the pump being low and already on the passenger side.

As for installation, I'm not familiar with any shops in Florida and did mine myself. Might start a thread asking the Florida members for recommendations?

I will follow closely your instructions. Your explanations of the process have been wonderful.
Do you feel any loss of power with the AC?
I'm sure it does rob power but with a big block I don't notice it however at idle it will pull the rpm's down a fuzz. I might eventually add a fast idle solenoid to the carb to address this. Really the only reason to even address it is it must pull the rpm's just low enough that my alternator doesn't charge as well..... bump the rpm's up by 100 rpm's with the pedal and it jumps right back up to 14V.

Auto Transport Service
Back