• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block into small block K-frame ????????

satarunner

Local time
4:38 PM
Reaction score
Some people tell me it won't work without adapter mounts some people say use the Cordoba BB mounts some people say I need to swap the K-frame. Who here has done it and what actually works ? I don't want to waste money on the Schumaker mounts if I don't have to. Any info greatly appreciated

What car are you looking to do this in? Some k-frames are the same for big block n small block like I got in my 67 Coronet

Since you posted this in the 1971 - 1974 Mopars section and your screen name is Satarunner I would have to guess your cloning a Satellite into a Roadrunner,also guessing its a 73-74 in that case I have 2 small block cars and both have big blocks in them,ones got the Schumacher mounts and the other has an oil pan thats been hammered in about 1" 1/2 to clear the back side of the K-frame....The schumacher kit does raise the BB up and give more room for the exhaust manifolds...The hammered in oil pan trick works but the exhaust manifold hits the passengers side inner fender so it needs to be hammered in about 1" in a few places (I bought the car like this) and I'm putting it back to a SB.
Or you can just swap in a BB K-frame from a 73-74 B-body

Here is a pic's of my Schumacher mounts (far right)
31649860101_medium.jpg

If you're working on a 71-72, no need to change K member or use a conversion kit. 440 dropped right in place of my 318 with no issues in my 72 Charger.

Wow what a tard mistake sorry guys ..... This is a 73 satellite that I am cloning into a Roadrunner it was a factory 318 car and I am putting a 440 in it. My 73 roadrunner parts car has a 440 in it but I don't know if the K-frame has been changed . My parts car was a factory small block car also that somebody put a 440 in. I already trimmed the passenger side lower inner fender to clear headers.

inner fender 3.JPG

I put a 400 in my small-block Satellite wagon. Swapped K-frames and installed poly biscuits at the same time. It was totally worth the effort.

If your parts car has a big block, it most likely has a big block K-frame. Check the vin.

I located a big block k frame for my car since the previous owner hacked up the motor mounts to install a 440 (orig 340 car )
As I understand it you can go with the schumacher motor mount kit or get a BB K frame.
If your 440 hits the inner fender pm me and I will send you a picture of the cutout and the correct dimensions I took from an original 73 GTX BB car. Did not have any oil pan problems may have already been changed out to correct pan.
I intend to swap in the BB k frame when I redo the entire front end.
The BB k frame was hard to find for me.
Ralph

Check Cordobas and station wagons.... but yeah, BB K-frames can be kinda tough to come by. I was lucky enough to be pulling apart a BB car with a low milage engine and a rebuilt front end.

Check Cordobas and station wagons.... but yeah, BB K-frames can be kinda tough to come by. I was lucky enough to be pulling apart a BB car with a low milage engine and a rebuilt front end.

Will a BB Cordoba K member Fit in the 73-74 B-body and if so are the engine mounts on the K member in the correct location for our 73-74's. I need a BB K member for my 74 GTX as the original was very rusty and actually looked like it was delaminating around the Isolator Bushing area on the drivers side. Anyway, having a 72 B-body, I just assumed that the K member from my SB donor car would work and trashed the original...ooops. So now I need one, I know where a 79 Cordoba 400 is and can get the K member for $150. So any input on this will be greatly appreciated. I do not want to use the shumacher kit unless I absolutely have to. I am trying to restore the GTX as correctly as possible, so if anyone has correct P/N's for the late 70's K members pass them on. I have the interchange book with the P/N's to 74 only.
Thanx in Advance,
Clay

As far as I know, a 'doba K-frame will fit a '73 B-body. I mean, 1979's pretty late for a B-body, and 1973's pretty early for a spool-type K-frame. But it seems like they should swap.

The K-frames might not be exactly the same, but they should be very close. I think they might have clearanced a couple of things differently, beefed up the k-frame here and there, stuff like that. My specific swap was from a '77 Dodge Monaco Wagon (B-body) into a '74 Satellite Wagon. It was a little tricky getting everything lined up right. But once that was finished it went in like it was made to go there. Seriously. It took me two days (working alone in the back yard) to get everything so it would work at all--but once I got the first bolt lined up it took me all of about 45 minutes to finish the job. It was almost a letdown, it went so easy. (Torsion bars were another story entirely.)

The 'doba's probably got a better brake setup than the '73, too... but the upgrades might all be bolt-on stuff you could buy at the parts store. It's probably also got a better sway bar.

That's kinda the info I've been getting, it should fit with the only differences being possible upgrades to the K member it's self. So i am going to pick it up this weekend and we'll know for sure after that. Thanx for the input.
Clay

For what it's worth, I was at Hidden Valley Auto Parts, Maricopa AZ yesterday, they literally had 3 rows of mopars, from 63 to late 70's cars, with complete BB's in some, excellent sheetmetal and K- frames still intact, forget about interiors, but surprising on the number BB and pulleys and misc. parts. Cant remember the phone # though.

I am going today to get the BB K frame out of the 79 Cordoba. I will let everyone know how it fits in a few weeks when we get to replacing it. Keep your fingers crossed, it seems most sources believe it should bolt in with little to no problems.
Thanx, Clay

I know this is a old post but did anyone ever find out if the cordoba BB k-frame will work in a 73 b body?

I just got mine back from blast and paint last week. I will be putting mine in sometime this summer. Will keep you posted. The project has been very slow....money issue like everything else right now...lol. It looks like a direct fit just from sizing it up now that it is laying under the car.

Clay

Auto Transport Service
Back