• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black friday....what does it mean?

It's a free country (for now anyways), so get a different job then if it's so bad.
Thats the mindset i expect when you don't have to worry about having a job

- - - Updated - - -

That's what you say now. It's a bit different when you're on a tight budget and buying for kids. Nowadays I agree with you because my kids are all working and get whatever they need when they need it.

Tight budget? Get another job. Isn't that the advice conservatives always seem to be handing out?

tumblr_nydfnoEk1g1ujl4z3o1_1280.jpg

nice deflection, Steve-o.

it's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. nobody else is going to make my life better unless I do it myself.

The person working in retail obviously has personal responsibility or they would be home. Its always the same old same old with you and yours.

Mario, whats this thread about? If i remark about stores opening on Thanksgiving day and retail workers having to go into work at six pm don't hand me this personal responsibility crap. Your lecturing me on personal responsibility is like me telling your idol Trump how to run a real estate business. I would gladly take back the days were the malls were closed on Sundays and holidays

Mario, whats this thread about? If i remark about stores opening on Thanksgiving day and retail workers having to go into work at six pm don't hand me this personal responsibility crap. Your lecturing me on personal responsibility is like me telling your idol Trump how to run a real estate business. I would gladly take back the days were the malls were closed on Sundays and holidays

Listen here pal...I dont have any idols. I have one hero and that's my father. got that??

you may be able to pull that **** with others around here, but im not going to take it.

anyways, your remark was this..."Employing people making minimum wage with no benefits no nothing."

that statement is what I am talking about.

lemme put it simply to ya...IF YOU CANT DO THE WORK MANAGEMENT SETS FORTH (hours, conditions whatever), DONT TAKE THE DAMN JOB. PERIOD. there are plenty of other jobs in retail or otherwise they can take. that's my point.

I agree with Steve on this, Its not "nice" to make these kids/people work on the holiday (if thats whats going on, I have no idea), BUT on the other side of the coin, people making $13 an hour probably need the over time, OR should be begging for it, if they were smart. I worked a lot of holidays while building my business, uhhh actually like everyone for a decade, lol... It didn't hurt me, but I did miss the kids a bit, which paid off because now I can see them when ever I want and give them a life I could only see on tv when I was a kid, uhh the only tv in our house, and it had a black line across the top center, lol...

I don't know what the climate of these places is, I know when I need help on the holidays (don't do it much anymore, just emergency calls, and in all the years I have been doing this, on the few occasions I had calls on xmas or thanksgiving, I go out myself when possible. If I need my guys on holidays I pay them well, I had a pipe freeze at a prison we service, UNDER ground main return line, xmas eve!! Needs to be fixed and FAST or temp services need to be aligned, these arent people who can just go to a hotel, lol...

So I had 6 guys at the time, I sent them all the same text, "frozen line at RIACI, I need 320E, 2 skid steers, and mini loaded and ready in 1 hour, only text back if you can make it, I understand if not" EVERYONE texted back!!! I pulled up to the sight and everyone already had their badges, temp fence and lights were all setup, machines were off the trailers, my guys were already reading prints, it ended up taking us 2 days to do the repair, wasnt frozen at all, it was broken, we dug it, fixed it changed a couple pumps, and backfilled it (had to BF fast since it would have froze, BUT did you ever try digging frozen ground, lol, cat320 with custom made narrow bucket for high ground psi.. NOW I have a vac-con hotshot, google that thing, changed the business for ever, Ill get to the bottom of an iceberg in 20 minutes and never sit in a machine...

So when we finished up and we got back to my shop, I handed them $1000 cash each, they were floored, even my helpers making $15-20 an hour got the $1000, plus I paid them triple time for all the hours from the time I texted them to the time we left the shop the day after... (The DOC was charged almost 6 figures for that repair!! :) )...

BUT I am sure that is not the case for walmart employees.

And for anyone thinking "if they don't like it they can get another job", that sucks for you. Some people have to start somewhere and are not handed say "their fathers business", , so IMO taking advantage of someones NEED, makes you a bad person, when I ask my guys to work on a holiday, I am in that hole with a shovel too, I will let them sit in the heated machine and I will put the gloves on and shovel in the sleet and rain while they sit in the machine with internet radio, heat, ac, blutooth, etc.
I was always told, you want your workers to work hard, give them someone to keep up with. When we used to go out and do cleanings, I did 13 a day and my guys would try and try to beat me, and only once did one of them do it, but I was all over the place that day and he was in 1 town, I know excuses, lol...

So I think its easy for someone sitting in with their families on the holiday eating the food they could easily afford to say " Screw the poor, they deserve it for not trying harder", lol.. It takes all kinds, and being kind, considerate, and understanding of those with less "options" shows good character, IMO. I have no patience for people using the system and collecting, undeserved ssi, welfare, and other assistance instead of working, so when I see people working no matter what they are doing, I respect them...

I don't know, I guess I would just be embarrassed to look down on people that are struggling and don't have a lot of options, if these companies are saying "either work or your fired", then that sucks, but they are writing the checks, so you do what the boss says, my cousin is a resident at level 1 trauma hospital, he worked thanksgiving and he has to work this xmas, just the low peg on the pole, he don't complain, its just how it is...

I would love to go back to how it used to be, nothing open on sundays but church and a gas station, thanksgiving being a day for giving thanks and not a day to save on "stuff", lol. I was never one for waiting in lines, I'll drive 39 minutes to another restaurant that has no wait not to wait 20 minutes at the restaurant we are standing at, lol.. I have done it... so i am not the type to wait in line for something like a sale, if its all I can afford to get my kids and there is a limited amount available, I have the mindset "they will live, let someone else have it for their kids, mine will understand and learn something from not having it"....

I may be a hypocrite though, I waited in my truck for an hour one day waiting for a gentleman I was buying a wurly 1080 off of to show up, got there early to make sure I was the first one to see it, but this was recently and I really wanted it, in my defense, I drove 2 hours to get there and he was an hour late, so it was either go home empty handed or wait, and I am glad I did, its about the best one in m collection..

ahhhh, that felt good, nice long post for you guys that missed them, I have been so busy, not much time to get some walls of texts for the mopar forum, I felt empty inside...

Listen here pal...I dont have any idols. I have one hero and that's my father. got that??

you may be able to pull that **** with others around here, but im not going to take it.

anyways, your remark was this..."Employing people making minimum wage with no benefits no nothing."

that statement is what I am talking about.

lemme put it simply to ya...IF YOU CANT DO THE WORK MANAGEMENT SETS FORTH (hours, conditions whatever), DONT TAKE THE DAMN JOB. PERIOD. there are plenty of other jobs in retail or otherwise they can take. that's my point.

Whats the matter Mario,you can dish out **** all day long but can't take it? You started this personal responsibility crap not me. Its always the same kind of rhetoric from your side,always the same excuses and bullshit reasoning. As far as me pulling crap and your not taking it well id remind you of some of the things you've posted in regards to myself. Do i take it personally? No i don't. My remark about the people working retail is in that industry today was more about stores/malls opening on holidays and the employees that work there for low wages and no benefits. Often people that work there have no choice and its not some brush off comment about personal responsibility. Maybe they lost there decent job and can't find work or another family member did. Or like i see a older person thats considered unemployable everywhere else because of downsizing or there join went to China now needs anything to stay off welfare. Theres nothing wrong with retail,many times its a good job for extra cash or part time work but now these are the jobs thats left. Think about were your at and how you got there before you pass judgment and get on your high horse telling people about personal responsibility.

In the World of Retail, many stores are underwater (in the red) until the Christmas season. As mentioned above, Black Friday is a financial term. For many retailers, the Friday After Thanksgiving is the first day of the year that they actually move from being in the "Red" on the year to move into the Black (profitable). What a business, ouch.

Auto Transport Service
Back