• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black wire on headlight harness

halojumper

Local time
10:24 PM
Reaction score
I cannot figure out where this wire plugs into. It is part of the headlight harness. That slot already has a black wire corresponding to it on the bulkhead connector under the dash. 1967 plymouth belvedere. Car is still under construction.
20190528_100700.jpg

Here is a 66 harness. the black wire from the headlights goes right next to the red on the connector.
IMG_2115[1].JPG

One more question. I just want make sure of something where does the fusible link plug into exactly?

No expert, but keep in mind that '66 is two headlight model, and '67 is a four headlight model, if that makes a difference to the harness. HTH, Lefty71

X Terminal on the bulkhead connector. Bulkhead connector in FSM is flipped so dont be confused.

Here ya go via the Shop manual.. And here is the link to the FSM..

According to the FSM the bulkhead connectors A-H are designated for windshield wiper motor A B C and D are for that. H and F are for the backup switch. G is AC compressor. And E is for the Air conditioner blower motor.

J-R
J = Negative coil wire.
K= Brake warning lamp switch
L = Goes to I post on starter relay
M = windshield washer motor
N = Alternator IGN post on regulator
P = Battery side of Alternator
Q = Ballast resistor
R = Temperature Gauge sending unit.

S-Z
S= To left park and signal lamp
T= Oil Pressure sending unit
U= To left park and signal lamp
V= To right park and signal lamp
W= To horn relay.
X= To headlights left and right. Ground
Z= To B terminal on starter relay.
Untitled.png

Last edited:
No problem sorry i posted the 66... But wasnt sure myself.. Glad you got it..

According to the info supplied by BeepBeepRR, the fusible link would be in the Z slot. Just to let you know, replacement fusible links can be indistinguishable from plain wires. Also there are no amperage ratings for fusible links like fuses have. If you are replacing one you must get a replacement that is the same gage as the one being replaced.

Last edited:
Yes, the fusible link goes into the z slot of course, the x slot is already plugged in for the headlights. Darrin at M&H wire told me that wire might be for a 60 amp alternator. I looked at a wiring diagram, and it identifies that black wire as 426 hemi only, But the headlight/engine harness i have is not an M&H part, so he could not be sure.

Here is the Hemi schematic. It shows a Black on W and a black on X This is Hemi only and W may not be the wire you are looking for. it goes from W terminal to the G on the horn relay. These are the only 2 black wires in the headlight harness.

After looking at the other schematic they are the same its W and its the ground for the horn relay.

hemi.png

The black wire from the bulkhead X position is not a ground. That is the power wire for low beam according to the wire schematic. It's a 16ga wire if stock.

The black wire from the bulkhead X position is not a ground. That is the power wire for low beam according to the wire schematic. It's a 16ga wire if stock.
Correct I mistakenly said ground. There is a red for high beam black for low and there us a separate ground at the headlights.

This what's driving me a little goofy the black wire for the headlights is already plugged into the x slot. The wire is stock, this one lone black wire has no place for it to plug into the engine/headlight harness. I asked Bill Evans (I bought the harness from him) he told me it goes into the x slot. I tried telling him that the x slot has a black wire for the headlights already plugged in.

It looks like it's larger than the headlight wire, track down where it pops out Should give you a good idea of it's responsibility.

Horn relay wire? Seems rather larger for a relay trigger.

Whats the other end look like, and where is it in the harness??

It looks like it's larger than the headlight wire, track down where it pops out Should give you a good idea of it's responsibility.

Horn relay wire? Seems rather larger for a relay trigger.
Horn relay is black with white tracer.

Auto Transport Service
Back