• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake drums ?????

Cornpatch MO

Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
In researching front 10" drums for my 1968 Satellite. WhatI am finding, and questions... These drums are hard to find from local parts stores...Composite drums are easier to find , and lower priced than cast iron. Any drawbacks from composite drums? Cast iron is $175-$200 each. Composite from Rock auto is about $25-$30 each. Composite is $79.00 to $119, and would have to be special ordered from the local parts stores. What say y'all? ..............................MO

Composite? I'm no expert on the matter but that doesnt sound safe to me, so I googled it and came up with this:

"...A composite brake drum for a motor vehicle or the like is comprised of a cast metal drum section, a stamped steel drum back, and a cast metal mounting face. The drum section and mounting face are preferably formed of cast iron. The composite drum of the invention provides a reduction in weight and in the amount of machining required as compared with a full cast brake drum. At the same time, the composite brake drum of the invention permits an increase in the thickness of the mounting face as compared with conventional composite brake drums, allowing motor vehicle manufacturers to use the same hubs and keep the vehicle track the same regardless of whether a particular vehicle includes a disc/drum or a disc/disc brake system..."

In researching front 10" drums for my 1968 Satellite. WhatI am finding, and questions... These drums are hard to find from local parts stores...Composite drums are easier to find , and lower priced than cast iron. Any drawbacks from composite drums? Cast iron is $175-$200 each. Composite from Rock auto is about $25-$30 each. Composite is $79.00 to $119, and would have to be special ordered from the local parts stores. What say y'all? ..............................MO

Yours clear shot / to thin Mo ? get them turned ?

I am at Chrysler's @ Carlisle --- in the middle of a rainstorm, so I might have to run....
I have them here at Carlisle, N.O.S. U.S.A. made ---
And I do the Fronts for $ 85.00 each --- and the Rears for $ 55.00 each !!!!!
Come here and grab 'em, they are in the van !!!!!
Can ship them after the show !!!!!!!
Yours, Craig .... mobileparts.....

Composite? I'm no expert on the matter but that doesnt sound safe to me, so I googled it and came up with this:

"...A composite brake drum for a motor vehicle or the like is comprised of a cast metal drum section, a stamped steel drum back, and a cast metal mounting face. The drum section and mounting face are preferably formed of cast iron. The composite drum of the invention provides a reduction in weight and in the amount of machining required as compared with a full cast brake drum. At the same time, the composite brake drum of the invention permits an increase in the thickness of the mounting face as compared with conventional composite brake drums, allowing motor vehicle manufacturers to use the same hubs and keep the vehicle track the same regardless of whether a particular vehicle includes a disc/drum or a disc/disc brake system..."
I thought the composite sounded a little dicey..I wonder how long these have been used . Lighter is good, less unsprung weight. Starting with " At the same time" Sounds like they are comparing composite to composite...Not sure what they are talking about in the last part of the paragraph I would like to know how to tell the difference between composite and cast..... Thank you, ...................MO

Yours clear shot / to thin Mo ? get them turned ?
I haven't measured mine to see if they can be turned.. Super Mechanic says he thinks they are warped and should be replaced with new... I'm wanting a back up plan in case mine can't be turned....................MO

I am your back up plan....
New is 10.000, Discard is 10.090.... Nearing 10.090 and needs to be cut --- scrap them --- you don't want your wheel cylinders moving out too far and exploding.
You can tell Real Steel vs. Composite by weight...
Yours, Craig.....

I am at Chrysler's @ Carlisle --- in the middle of a rainstorm, so I might have to run....
I have them here at Carlisle, N.O.S. U.S.A. made ---
And I do the Fronts for $ 85.00 each --- and the Rears for $ 55.00 each !!!!!
Come here and grab 'em, they are in the van !!!!!
Can ship them after the show !!!!!!!
Yours, Craig .... mobileparts.....
I think I bought the two pair of asbestoes brake shoes from you a couple months ago--for the drums I am talking about here.. You are in New York and was having a bit of a hard time dealing with the lock down? I am in Bedford, Iowa... I am sending you a PM....Thanks, MO

The FSM states that you shouldn't machine the drum more than .060 over the standard diameter. So 10.060 would be the max machine to spec. The spec is normally cast into the drum edge. Here is the link to download your own Service Manual :
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

Composite drums and rotors have been used for many years. Lower weight is just one advantage. Don't be afraid of something just because you haven't heard of it. Most people not in the industry would have. In the automotive repair industry from the early 70's. to the mid 2000's . Brake technology and materials have come a long way in the last 50 plus years.

Last edited:
The FSM states that you shouldn't machine the drum more than .060 over the standard diameter. So 10.060 would be the max machine to spec. The spec is normally cast into the drum edge. Here is the link to download your own Service Manual :
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

Composite drums and rotors have been used for many years. Lower weight is just one advantage. Don't be afraid of something just because you haven't heard of it. Most people not in the industry would have. In the automotive repair industry from the early 70's. to the mid 2000's . Brake technology and materials have come a long way in the last 50 plus years.
I was able to find pics of the cast iron drum and the composite. Actually, I don't think I have ever seen a cast iron drum on a car, and I have seen many drums.. Thank you for your information..................................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back