• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bucket seat head rest question 1969

glhx

Local time
12:54 AM
Reaction score
What is the difference between a seat frame with a head rest and one without. I have the head rests but not the seats for my 69 dart. If i buy the seats, will any original 69 dart seat work or do i need special seats for head rests. Can i modify the original seats to have a factory head rest?

IIRC, beginning in 1968 model year all of the seat frames had the holes punched in the them for the headrest posts.

There are clips down on the frame inside the seat (under the covers) that lock the posts in different raised positions.

I don't know if 1968 seats that did not have the head rest option had the internal clips and the plastic post guides that sit on top of the seat frame under the upholstery.

All of this hidden hardware is the same, the differences are external with the chrome bezel the post go through on top of the seats are different from buckets to bench. I believe that the bezels for buckets are reproed but I am not sure about the bench ones.

Also, I believe that on the A bodies the head rest itself is different bucket to bench, but I don't remember the eact configuation. This answer would be better from www.forabodiesonly.com

I switched bucket seat headrests to bench without a problem (airc)

I switched bucket seat headrests to bench without a problem (airc)

Yeah, I didn't THINK there was a problem but didn't want to stick my neck out for sure. That is the same with "B" bodies, the only thing that is dfferent s the shape of the chrome bezel, so if you are **** about it you would want to change those.

The a body website has good information on this but you gave me more here. i figured they had these in b bodies a lot more so i decided to go here as well.

my headrests are from a 69 dart. I do not have the seats yet. do i have to get 69 seats or will 68 be ok.

you talk of plastic inserts. are these down in the frame. do all bucket seats have these. I have all the exterior stuff. Its the exact definition of the stuff inside the seat im interested in.

i know now that the 68 and 69 have the holes for them. But do they have everything needed

I am not sure if this picture is going to show up or not, but if it does it may help you figure it out.
The yellow/white pieces are the plastic parts that sit on top of the metal seat frames under the seat cover. The headrests posts go through these and the chrome bezel that sits on top of the seat upholstery and the bezels screw into the plastic piece.

HEADRESTHARDWARE.jpg

that picture helps a lot. where can i get that stuff. I am looking at 68 charger seats that i will re cover for my dart. im wondering if it has that kit inside it. the charger seats have no headrests. I have a set of head rests with the chrome bezels but not anything of the other stuff in that kit

I am not sure if this picture is going to show up or not, but if it does it may help you figure it out.
The yellow/white pieces are the plastic parts that sit on top of the metal seat frames under the seat cover. The headrests posts go through these and the chrome bezel that sits on top of the seat upholstery and the bezels screw into the plastic piece.

FWIW...here's a disassembly sequence taken of a bench seat out of a 69 Coronet 440. You can see how they come apart. (The chrome bezel obviously goes on top of the fabric. I just took the picture with it setting on the plactic part)

Headrests_2_575.jpg

Headrests_3_575.jpg

headrests_4_575.jpg

Headrests_5_575.jpg

Headrests_6_575.jpg

that explains a lot. i think im confident in what i need now to do that job. What is that last piece for (what purpose does it serve). The one in the last picture.........thank you for all the detailed pictures

Last edited:
In case anyone cares, the 66 seats in my black Charger had the headrest holes in there already..I just added the headrests.

DCP_2607.jpg

i heard 66 through 69 were the same seat frames in the A and B bodies. I then heard 66 and 67 only sometimes had the holes in them, but the 68 and 69 always did. I never got confirmation that the 66 seats were the same as the 69. I know for a fact 65 was different. Does anyone know how to restore the head rest....what kind of vinyl and foam does it take.

Auto Transport Service
Back