• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buckles from seatbelt solutions open under tension

I cant tell 100% from this perspective, but Im pretty sure its the same design as mine. You have to pull really hard. Try it with a jerk. If you pm me your email adress, i can send you the video how i pull them apart.

Most on here upload their videos on YouTube then copy the link and post it here.

I would be returning the belts and not waste any more of my time on them

dont you want such problems to be solved/discussed? how exactly are you tied to seatbelt solutions?
I doubt thats the way belts are tested. I would like to see them tested on a direct pull against the latch to see how they hold. I also would like to see you retest this time with the latch half pointing up and stationary and see what it does. The way you are whipping them the webbing might be hitting the latch buckle and partially releasing it.

I doubt thats the way belts are tested. I would like to see them tested on a direct pull against the latch to see how they hold. I also would like to see you retest this time with the latch half pointing up and stationary and see what it does. The way you are whipping them the webbing might be hitting the latch buckle and partially releasing it.
Ok, I will do other tests at the weekend. What do you mean with direct pull on the latch? As i understand, you want the buckle to remain stationary when i pull the belt, right?

But as already mentioned, the buckle has to release under some amount of tension because its designed like that. Its totally obvious, when you look at my pictures. And i bet everything, that there is absolutely no situation where a buckle should release by tension.

Ok, I will do other tests at the weekend. What do you mean with direct pull on the latch? As i understand, you want the buckle to remain stationary when i pull the belt, right?

But as already mentioned, the buckle has to release under some amount of tension because its designed like that. Its totally obvious, when you look at my pictures. And i bet everything, that there is absolutely no situation where a buckle should release by tension.
I do not think the test you were trying was a true test. You were playing crack the whip which is not the conditions seat belts operate under. I believe you were causing a release of the buckle by the webbing slapping against it. A true test would be a direct pull on the unit.

Honestly, your pictures don’t make it obvious

I made a drawing that hopefully makes it clear.

Schema.png

Now attach the force buckle and the force anchor points to a solid point and pull directly apart. You should have a way of measuring how much force it takes to make it release. Report back when you have the facts.

If your buckles hold only under laboratory conditions, they suck. And dude, i pull them apart with my hands! And you need a force measurement now?? :D :D

Just design the buckle form fitting like the original ones are. There is no need to release for a seatbelt buckle under any circumstances, unless you release it manually. Its so simple.

Last edited:
There are a couple of places here in the states that restore original belts to factory condition. that’s the route best taken.

If your buckles hold only under laboratory conditions, they suck. And dude, i pull them apart with my hands! And you need a force measurement now?? :D :D

Just design the buckle form fitting like the original ones are. There is no need to release for a seatbelt buckle under any circumstances, unless you release it manually. Its so simple.
No wonder the tech department gave you the boot.

I do not think the test you were trying was a true test. You were playing crack the whip which is not the conditions seat belts operate under. I believe you were causing a release of the buckle by the webbing slapping against it. A true test would be a direct pull on the unit.

I was thinking the same thing.

After watching his video I tried the same technique with mine from Seat Belts Plus and I couldn't get it to release. As I already stated it appears that they debured and buffed the one piece a bit much before chrome plating.

I was thinking the same thing.

After watching his video I tried the same technique with mine from Seat Belts Plus and I couldn't get it to release. As I already stated it appears that they debured and buffed the one piece a bit much before chrome plating.

Your picture shows that your buckle is the same design as mine. It will release under enough tension. Its not about deburring or buffing. Its by design. If my drawing doesnt make that clear, nothing will. But its your choice.

Your picture shows that your buckle is the same design as mine. It will release under enough tension. Its not about deburring or buffing. Its by design. If my drawing doesnt make that clear, nothing will. But its your choice.

You're right it is my choice. I've been in metal fabrication all my life and I can see the difference between yours and mine. Mine has sharper crisper edges which will fit the latching mechanism better. When the edges are rounded off like the one you bought the mechanism won't hold as good.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

a buckle that releases that easily is as good as a bucket with holes in the bottom

that’s the China way of getting rid of Americans. That’s why the belts suck and don’t function properly I stick to my original post just get original buckles and have them restored and install new webbing.

Auto Transport Service
Back