• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building 70 Charger with AMD panels

RXTREME

Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
Im building 70 charger with AMD panels, judge me if you want. But i just got a jig welded up and im going to attempt it. I have the whole front end body panels & all specific ‘70 parts that arent remade. Great shape too. Took alot of time to aquire them. I was wondering whats the best approach to begin this. By starting from the framerails, then floors, and up from there as so in picture 1 & 2? OR use the jig support and start crafting the shell front the rockers & up, and from the front firewall to the rear valance, then put floors in and framerails/chassis shown in picture 3! And yes, it is going to take lots of time and money. I will take as much time it takes until its DONE! Ive been planning this since 7th grade. Im 22 now.

IMG_8641.png

IMG_8642.png

IMG_8643.png

Why would anyone "Judge" you? I think it is great. I'd defend you if anyone had a problem with what you're doing.
We fix what needs repair, we replace what cannot be repaired. That just makes sense.
Good luck!

Why would anyone "Judge" you? I think it is great. I'd defend you if anyone had a problem with what you're doing.
We fix what needs repair, we replace what cannot be repaired. That just makes sense.
Good luck!
Well, one of my last posts didnt go so well. Im a big dreamer and will try everything in my power to make it possible. I will spend as much time as it takes until its done. It gets me out of bed and makes me truly happy and excited to use my creativity and finally be able to build what i day-dreamed about doing every day in class since 7th grade Usually everyone is so nice on these forums but not always. But everyone thinks your crazy until you show them one day.

IMG_8646.png

IMG_8647.png

IMG_8644.png

IMG_8645.png

IMG_8648.png

Oh, I didn't click on that thread.
I'm of the belief that a great street/road course car can be fast at the dragstrip while being a decent driver. The principle doesn't hold true with a great drag racer being a good road course car. Soft front springs and shocks for weight transfer equates to terrible cornering ability.
I'm not a drag race guy....I like cornering, strong brakes and despite what many old timers like...drifting. Before that was given the name, we just called it "getting sideways, squirrely or crossed up". The Japanese really took a shine to it and made it popular. A drift car can handle far better than a purpose built drag car. To me, that is so much more fun. It takes skill to drive a car cast but have you ever hung the tail end of the car out for 200 feet at a time without spinning? That takes skill too.
New members that suggest things outside the norm will always be a target for comments. We've had guys here put Chevy LS engines in their cars, do electric/Tesla conversions, propane, coil over front suspensions....all sorts of oddball stuff. In truth, I'm not a fan of any of that. I like a stock based suspension with some specific upgrades and changes. The basic engineering is retained but the weak points are addressed and vastly improved.
Back to you though.....

Do you have a color picked out?
Here are my cars....

IMG_3849.JPG

IMG_3850.JPG

Jigsaw is the ugly one. I'm aiming to paint it B-5 blue like the new Challengers...
B 5 B.jpg

IMG_2324.JPG

Last edited:
A P-51 Mustang is still the best way to go fast.
:lol:

Anyway, I applaud putting together a car from the assorted prices you have collected. Did you get a kit for subframe connectors! That is a must have addition to your project, as well as anything else that stiffens up things.

Yessir! Flat Black or Gloss Black, Same with trim and front bumper but chrome rear bumper and wheels!
The flat/satin black look is popular with some guys. I always prefer a shine over anything dull but you have the right to do what makes you happy.
You're spending YOUR money, right? Unless someone else is paying your nut, nobody has a right to make demands as to how you proceed.
There will be critics no matter what you do.
I hear them about my cars. Often the critics are people that I don't like anyway!

01 funny 2.jpg

Your enthusiasm and zeal is very commendable. I like your ambition, even though some may view it as unrealistic, or at the very least difficult. As far as assembling the body parts, I've done it before any of these quality AMD parts were ever made. So, you should be able to do what you need to do, body-wise. But... 1k-2k hp ? Hope your piggy bank is as big as your dreams :lol:

That's Fantastic, I'm gonna watch this process, I think it's great what you're doing !!!!

Up until the 3rd generation Hemi came along, the goal of this level of horsepower was almost impossible.
The “Hellcrate” made it within reach for those with money.we do t know the financial position that the OP is in. Maybe he has a lot of money but just isn’t bragging about it. That is his business. If I were rich, being the loudmouth that I’ve been known to be, it would be no secret.
I know that I look at everything with cost in mind. That steers many of our decisions and eliminates many options.
I be agree that his goals are WAY out there and may not be attainable but he appears to be a young guy that is interested in doing what so few young guys do anymore… he is building a classic hot rod the way he wants to.
Remember how we were back then?
The elders often ignored or dismissed our enthusiasm and sometimes insulted us for trying.
Mom refused to put air shocks and N-50-15s on the back of the family 79 Camaro. In retrospect that was smart but at the time, I was a kid with dreams just like the OP is.

Looks like an awesome project and I applaud your efforts. Just hope you can find all your needed metal. Everything is always on back order these days.

don't weld anything until everything is positioned properly and screwed together........ moving a screw 1/8 of an inch is way easier than undoing a weld

let the outer sheet metal be your guide, it doesn't lie

Great to be young, full of piss and vinegar and a tad crazy!

Most of us old guys are still the last two...

Good luck and don't let anyone deter you from your dreams....

Nothing better than defeating the implausible!

what are we doing for a title? ....... and all those little interior pieces?....... do you have a donor?

Im building 70 charger with AMD panels, judge me if you want. But i just got a jig welded up and im going to attempt it. I have the whole front end body panels & all specific ‘70 parts that arent remade. Great shape too. Took alot of time to aquire them. I was wondering whats the best approach to begin this. By starting from the framerails, then floors, and up from there as so in picture 1 & 2? OR use the jig support and start crafting the shell front the rockers & up, and from the front firewall to the rear valance, then put floors in and framerails/chassis shown in picture 3! And yes, it is going to take lots of time and money. I will take as much time it takes until its DONE! Ive been planning this since 7th grade. Im 22 now.

View attachment 1624064

View attachment 1624065

View attachment 1624066
You have the advantage right now, before it gets all put together. Judging from your other post where you indicated a desire to have good handling as well as high power, you're going to want to build the car stronger than Dodge originally did. Check into aftermarket items such as sub frame connectors, inner fender braces, and a roll cage.

If you are serious about not having a cost issue then it's a matter of careful research and time spent. You said you wanted a 600" Noonan engine, aren't they around $13,000 just for the bare block? I'd contact them for advice on engine set-back and type of exhaust in case you have to modify the engine bay for it, as well as deciding what transmission you'll use because some of them need tunnel mods as well.

My brother and I are working on three 69's. 2 chargers and a bee.
Keep after your dreams. Finally getting to ours! At least new metal doesn't have rust!
Screenshot_20240309_144921_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20230930_215024_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20230930_214008_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
what are we doing for a title? ....... and all those little interior pieces?....... do you have a donor?
I have another 70 sitting in my garage but i decided i wasnt going to tear it down and just fix the floors and trunk rust. I think AMD makes just about everything now, not sure what would be missing. But if its just a support panel ill fabricate something of my own. Just need outer panels for sure. Might donate my rear window roll up and down linkage thats all i know of. And i think u can make a title a certain way in some states. Ill have to look into it!

Auto Transport Service
Back