• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cable Shift 727 to Floor Console Shift - What should I expect

QQBlue1

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:49 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking to swap out the 904 in my 68 Charger that has a floor console out with what I think is a "cable shift" 727 from a 1967 D100. What linkage issues might I expect to encounter when doing the swap? Thank you.

The last true cable shift case trans in cars was 1965. If thats what you are trying to use it will not be compatable. I'm not sure if they used the cable case transmissions in A 100's later than 1965.
Doug

Are you talking about a pushbutton trans? If so, it won't work. The pb trans uses two cables, one specially for park.
B&M made a chrome box aftermarket lever shifter for a pb trans, but they quit making them at least 40 years ago.
This one is mine. It only works with a rmvb.

20190207_193543.jpg

20190207_193537.jpg

I must not have a true cable shift transmission, just a single cable operating the shift linkage for park, reverse and all three drive gears. I'm guessing it could operate the 904 linkage with minimal adjustment.

truck and motorhomes with the dash mounted shifter have a cable to operate the shift arm much the same as aftermarket floor shifters. Your trans still has a shift arm where the true cable shift trans have the cable going into the trans.

truck and motorhomes with the dash mounted shifter have a cable to operate the shift arm much the same as aftermarket floor shifters. Your trans still has a shift arm where the true cable shift trans have the cable going into the trans.
^^^^^ this sounds like the correct answer. Just make sure you can adjust the kickdown properly after the swap.

I used a 1965 console shifter [ a cable shifter ] with a later model linkage shift 727. It can be done. It was in the late 80s, memory is hazy as to how I did it. I think I modified the shift gate so that the Park cable was eliminated & just used one cable.

Auto Transport Service
Back