• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California VS non Canlfornia car emissions.

429bossman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:38 AM
Reaction score
1970 440 6 pac emissions on a California car first what's is different?

Does it have a vapor third line from the breather to the tank ??
Does it have a charcoal canister and any other pluming at the rear??
Any pic would also be appreciated

I have a 70 RR 440 + 6 calif car myself. First off, the gas cap & filler neck is different, it's a vented gas cap that only fits the correct filler neck. In the trunk of the car is a steel tube that has lines that come from a different gas tank for the emissions system. On the pass side of the tank is 4 nipples that has hoses that go into the trunk tube to recycle gas vapors. Also the engine breather has an extra nipple to return vapors to the trunk tube. Also there is a return line from the fuel filter after the fuel pump that also goes to the tank. But there is no charcoal canister. I believe in the repair manual there is a full diagram of the system.

Chuck

Here is a pix from the repair manual. It does not show the fuel return line from the fuel filter to the tank.

Chuck

Attachments

• ecs.pdf
    578.3 KB · Views: 70
And the center carb is vented with a valve instead of a rubber stopper.

1970 440 6 pac emissions on a California car first what's is different?

Does it have a vapor third line from the breather to the tank ??
Does it have a charcoal canister and any other pluming at the rear??
Any pic would also be appreciated

It depends on 2 factors:

1. Is it a LA built car?
YES

2. All Engines are required for the LA Emissions except :
440 6-BBL/6-Pack cars AND HEMIS

How do I know?
My 1970 383 Superbee is a LA car
My Buds Roadrunner 383 is exempt, it was built elsewhere

My 440+6 is a LA built car. Los Angeles built cars were mostly for the southwest area. But not all were destined for Calif. No Hemi cars were built at Los Angeles. But my 440+6 was ordered with the federal emissions. It's on the fender tag.

Auto Transport Service
Back