• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam Choice

Charger21

Local time
8:02 PM
Reaction score
Ok. So I know everyone likely has their favorites, but looking to get some kind of general consensus. I have a 74 400 stock engine siting on an engine stand that came out of a car and ran pretty well. It will be going into a 73 Charger that currently has a 400 4 barrel (750 Edelbrock), old school Edelbrock Performer (not RPM) intake, with a 727 and 3.55 Sure grip gears.

The car currently runs well, but I am looking to step up the performance a bit for off idle street use. The plan is do a cam, intake, and headers at this time. I called Comp Cams and they recommended cam 21-222-4 which they said was a "direct drop in with valve spring replacement". At the time I was looking at 3.23 gears (this was before I put in the 3.55 gears).

Anyone know if this is a good choice or if there is another one that is a better choice for my application?

Thanks!

Looks pretty good and the price is not bad. Need to factor in the cost of the matching springs and seals, timing set and new lifters ( I wouldn't install a new cam under used lifters ). You could probably do with a slight shave on the heads (.050) for a tad more compression. Just don't forget to check the "valve to piston" clearance before final assembly.

i think the 21-305-4 would be better. don't use anything less than the factory hipo magnum spring. the mopar 272-.455 would work also.

272 455 cam. Had the same one in a stock 77 400 with 3.55 gears and Eddie intake

Ran great

Got a .455" in a 440 9.5-1 compression. No complaints! Starts easy, good vacuum, and runs great.

Thanks everyone! It sounds like the Mopar Performance cam is very popular! I will look into that one!

Auto Transport Service
Back