• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cam selection 505 stroker build

mopardemon

Local time
3:43 PM
Reaction score
Looking for a hydraulic roller cam, my set up is
trick flow 240, max valve lift 680
victor intake
Quik fuels Q950 carb
Harland sharp 1.6 roller rockers
stroker kit from 440 source 4.350 bore 4.250 stroke
compression is 10.6-1
comps recommendation was custom Grinde
at 50 int 252 ext 262
lift with a 1.6 rocker int 640 ext 672
lsa 12
4 speed 3.54 in the back also have a 4.10
28 inch tire
street strip car
any other suggestions would be great thank you

Since you're running a modified setup, save yourself some frustration and call Dwayne Porter at Porter Racing Heads, Bullet Cams and Mike at Jones cams. They'll want all your info and then you can compare their recommendations and go from there. Nobody anywhere will get you closer to the ideal grind for your combo. It doesn't really cost much more for a custom grind and you can be assured those guys aren't just pulling numbers from some magazine article, something they read online or "my cousin's best friend's buddy ran this"...

We have no idea what your goals are for the car

How fast you plan on spinning it? My experience (and I tried) Mopar big block hydraulic roller
lifters are happy at 5800 rpm. Maybe 6000 rpm. No more.

Maybe others are smarter than me but mine floated the valves at 6000 rpm and it just wanted to continue to rev. Everything was set up per Lunati's instructions. I since have learned more about the limitations on big block Mopars with hyd rollers and that is my conclusion.

I think its too much cam for TF240 heads. To compare against my mechanical roller (I use 1.5 rockers) I have less lift, but a little more duration (mine is 262/266 intake/exhaust). But that is on TF270 heads. Your combo is not far off of mine otherwise. My motor mad 713/709 hp/torque.

I would buy the cam from Dwyane Porter. I totally trust him and he picked my cam. He nailed it.

spoke to Dwayne this afternoon had a great conversation, spoke on a few different topics, the knowledge he has is beyond, gave me a few recommendations,
in the end i told him i would leave it up to him on the choices he gave me.
going to keep this under 6000rpm

spoke to Dwayne this afternoon had a great conversation, spoke on a few different topics, the knowledge he has is beyond, gave me a few recommendations,
in the end i told him i would leave it up to him on the choices he gave me.
going to keep this under 6000rpm
I think that's a great choice. Sound like a fun car!

Why a hydraulic roller?
I went that route on the Coronets 505" stealth headed engine, and it seems to be just as much work/ adjusting as a solid roller.
When i built the Trick Flow 240 505" stroker, I went back to a solid roller cam.
The duration of the Comp cam seems about right for a street/strip car. Really need to know the cam lobe profile and what the required valve springs are.
Valve string selection is really important using a hydraulic roller.
https://edelbrock-files-v1.s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/catalogs/COMP-Lobe-Catalog.pdf

Looks like maybe the Magnum High lift 3116/3117 lobes? The description does say street/strip lobe profile.

well looks like final decision is made spoke to Dwayne and finalized the cam selection, going with something that will be a bit more pleasing for the street.
245/249 at 50
112 lsa
640/640 lift
I think I will be very happy with that

Auto Transport Service
Back