• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't get 360 to run without half choke

Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
Recently I shipped my high school car (72 Charger) down from Iowa at my parents house to Florida where I live now. It had been sitting for about 10 years with my dad firing it up every 1-2 months to keep the fluids running through the system and making sure the engine didn't lock up. Upon getting it down here I can get it to fire without an issue other than having to put the choke at about 50%. I am running a 1978 360ci bored .030 with a Edelbrock 1407 (750 cfm, manual choke). When this was my daily driver 10 years ago I did not have an issue with this setup. I just had a rebuild kit for the carb delievered today and will be cleaning it and rebuilding it once I am off work. I was just curious if anybody had any suggestions on what I should do from here.

Needing a choke suggests that your idle circuit is too lean. Aside from the obvious adjustments of the idle mixture screws, you may want to entirely remove them to ensure there's no gummed up deposits on the tip, and perhaps shoot a stream of carb cleaner through the threads before putting the needles back in. Also make sure that over the years there hasn't been any dirt or deposits getting in the way of the air bleeds.

+1 on photon, plus oil&filter change; maybe diff oil also.

Yep sounds like too lean with the choke open all the way..probably(hopefully!)just got a litttle gummy and dirty from all the sitting. Firing up every month or so is ok but these things need to be run to burn off deposits and keep fresh gas in the tank. Just me here but I would thoroughly clean the entire fuel system..tank, carb, lines etc after having sit for that long, especially in a place that gets cold and wet winters(even if it was garaged)

Unless the fuel in the tank was treated with Seafoam or something like that through the years I'd expect the carb to be pretty crapped up. I'd start with it.

Auto Transport Service
Back