• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car takes forever to start

Ron Sharma

Local time
10:14 AM
Reaction score
Guys,

just out of the blue, now the car takes several attempts to start. I keep giving it gas and it finally will pickup and start, mis a little but once started, I give gas and it will fine and idles right. I can go out and drive it for an hr but if I stop the car, it does the same, takes several attempts to fire up now.

The only thing I did, re-inserted a spark plug wire which became loose and filled her up with 89 gas, been putting 91 all her life. the fuel also burns rich, I can smell it once its running, a lot more then what it used to smell like.

2 Barrell Holly Carb

4498.jpeg

What checks have you done so far? Have you at least pulled the air cleaner off and check to see if the carb pump is working when you crack open the throttle with the engine off?

My first guess is that you got a bad load of 89-octane gas. I'd guess that mid-grade sits in the ground longer (sold the least vs. "regular" and "premium"). My second guess, especially since you say it smells rich, is that your plug wire (or another one) is only on there maybe 1/2-way. Third guess, something funky with your carburetor, but I'd re-check the plug wires and wait until the next full tank of gas (different station, maybe go back to 91 for one tank) before I even considered pulling the carb apart.

Thanks all. I'd get on it tonight and see what I find. I appreciate it.

Auto Transport Service
Back