• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb and intake comparability

o1gnah

Local time
12:39 PM
Reaction score
I recently had my 318 short block overhauled w/flattop high comp. Pistons and a mild camshaft. Still using stock heads however I’d like to go 4 barrel. So what I’m asking is assistance picking the carb and intake. I think I’m stuck on Holly street avenger 670 h80670. As for the manifold I’m not sure which will mount properly to my 318 la’s intake and exhaust ports? Can you mix and match say…Edelbrock performer E2176 manifold with the holly carb. Anyone got an intake that’s compatible? Not cracked!! I don’t want a used carb. Think it would save me a lot of headache. Thx

The old factory 340 intake was always a good piece. Downsides are weight and availability. Edelbrock 600/650 cfm. would be good carb choice.

318's have smaller intake ports than 340's or 360's (fyi). I believe (?) some very late-model 318's came with 4-barrels, so those intake manifolds have the smaller intake ports. My suggestion is find some 360 2-barrel heads (identical to 4-barrel heads, 340 or 360). 600-650 cfm is about right for a carburetor

Me, I'd go for the Edelbrock 600 cfm carb #1406 on the performer manifold.

Auto Transport Service
Back