• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

carrier woes maybe

pwDave

Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
I am in process of replacing a set of 5.13 gears w/ a set of 4.56's. when I pulled the caps off of the carrier( the bolts were tight)would it be better if everyone knew what the diff is???, yes?, ok, it's a dana sixty narrowed to 44". anyway the cap faces were shiney like they had been moving around, the carrier housing also had shiney spots at the mating surface to match the caps, now what?? can I use one of those alum covers that has the bolts thru it to stabilize the caps under load??? ignore it and hope for the best?? or is this a common problem?? pwDave

The only thing I know of would be the aluminum covers that support the caps. These are crucial on high powered cars and 4wd trucks that really beat on the cases and caps.

The only thing I know of would be the aluminum covers that support the caps. These are crucial on high powered cars and 4wd trucks that really beat on the cases and caps.
Thanks moper, thats as I figured it would be, needed someone to second the motion to make sure I wasn't out in left field somewhere. this is the first time I've had to deal with this as far as I know. I know strange makes one but don't know about moser, I have moser axles so I'll check there first. thanks for the advice moper, you've been a help. Dave

Moper, thanks for the advice, after I finished the set-up to the 4.56 gear. bought a moser engineering rear cover, looks very nice, very heavy duty. was surprised that the sets on the back of the cover only torqued to 5 ftlbs, doesn't sound like much but they should know better than I, any way thanks again. Dave.

Auto Transport Service
Back