• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charging issue

Basoline

Local time
11:03 AM
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a charging issue. These are the symptoms:

The AM meter states that the battery is being chargered but when I throttle-up (say, above 2500rpm or so), the needle goes to the max and flips back to the center and doesn't move anymore. Ofcourse, when I shut down the car and try to start her again after a ride, she won't start (because the battery wasn't charged). When I use jumpcables to start her, the AM-meter works fine again until...you might guess it...I rev-up. Same story.

Here's the setup:
- electric ignition
- single-field alternator
- normal ECU
- vintage type voltage regulator (looks like the mechanical one from the outside)

What we did:
- checked the connectors (some where a little bit to loose)
- checked ground-cable of engine

Ofcourse, the car has been on sea for like a week or 3 and has been parked in the harbor for a few weeks...Does salt kill batteries?

Thanks for you responses!!

I think most all car related electrical issues are bad connections and bad grounds. Check and clean everything, especially the bulkhead connector. A bad connection causes excessive resistance and resistance causes heat. This is why the power feed wire in the bulkhead gets melted.

You can check the alternator output by putting 12V directly to the field (run a separate wire) and observe the bat voltage at IDLE. If working properly it should steadily go through the roof in a short time - stop at 16V or so.

Salt will ruin one of those old regulators fast, I know I live opn the Gulg coast. Auto Zone has an electronic regulator for the old single field alternator. Clean all of your connections and make sure the wires are tight at the gauge and use the modern regulator. You'll be happy you did.

Ok, how can I check if this regulator I have now is the one for a single field alternator?

Oh, the one installed IS electric and NOT mechanical...It only LOOKS like the mechanical...Since I am in Europe, I have to be sure what's wrong before I order stuff. Oh, we checked the alternator and it's fine...

OK, swapped the voltage regulator. Charging issue is gone!! Well...it keeps charging now because of a bad battery. Hahaha!

Auto Transport Service
Back