• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome plating pot metal

69roadr

Local time
4:00 PM
Reaction score
i need to have a few things replated on my 69 RR, and one concern are the 2 bullet style turn indicators on the fender. they have some slight pitting on them. will the chrome plating smooth everything out, or will the "pits" still be noticeable? also, how hard is it to remove the pigtail out of the housing? 018.jpg019.jpg

The part will be stripped. Then the fun begins. Some of the pits will be holes. The part will be copper struck, holes soldered, polished. Then more cooper. That's why pot metal is so expensive. I had a pair of reasonably clean 64 Belvedere tail light bezels. After stripping they were scrap. This is not the norm but almost all pot metal will require metal finishing.
Doug

If you are hard up on keeping the originals be prepared to spend some coin. The process is very labor intensive. There is a great chrome shop local to me that does awesome work and they did my vent wing assembly. For my bullets I took a chance at another shop that was willing to just replate them, I lucked out and they came out good but mine didn't look as bad as yours. The pigtail will have to be diked to get it out of the metal piece but overall it's not hard. Remove the lens and there is a set screw holding everything in.

If you don't care about originality or want to save money they are repoppped.

If it is done correctly, no you won't see them.
But see what DVW says, he is correct.

Yep, pot metal can be a disaster. Every pit is oxide that has to be removed before plating. I had my console parts done by The Best Chrome in Morgan Hill CA and they came out great. Another thing is making sure the original part shape isn't altered prior to plating. Seems to me it can be easy to wipe out a feature with a sanding disc or file, buffer or whatever they use to prep the surface after soldering. So it's not just the quality of the finish you need to be careful of.

Auto Transport Service
Back